Question about Microsoft Windows 98 for PC
How to install Scanner HP to VISTA
I have a Windows Vista PC. I am trying to enable the scan option on my HP Laserjet 3380 to work on the PC and vice-versa. I do not have the cd and have already downloaded the drivers from HP.com.
It is still does not work.
Anyone have any ideas how to fix this issue?
Posted on Aug 26, 2008
There seems to be some big compatibility problems between Vista and that multifunction.
Here's a link to more in depth information
(I have the exact same problem).
Posted on Sep 05, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 31, 2011 | Operating Systems
The following instructions were posted by Harlandas on the HP support forum:
Here are the directions:
1. If your scanner is connected to your computer (USB) uninstall it using the device manager, be sure to check the box that says "delete the driver." And, unplug the USB when it is uninstalled. When I did this had never installed the software previously in my Win 7 operating system.
2. Download the sj657 installer packaged from HP. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=sj657en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
Extract it to a folder. If you double click on the downloaded file it will try to open the setup file automatically and you will get a message saying the software only works on Windows 98, etc. Just cancel and go to the folder (Default location is C:sj657) and continue with the next step.
3. Select the "setup" app and right click on it to get properties, change the compatibility to XP (I did service pack 2). Then run the it and click "OK" on any warnings from Windows 7.
4. Go to the Hewlett-Packard folder now in your Program Files directory, there will be a "HP Precisionscan" folder. It will be the only one unless you have other HP products. Open the Precisionscan LTX folder and change all apps to XP compatibility. I also checked the administrator check box on each app (there are several) just in case.
5. Restart your computer.
6. Plug in your scanner via USB and let it in install. Windows 7 should give you a notice that your 4300C was installed successfully.
The scanner will now work using the LTX software installed on your computer. The buttons on the front do not appear to work, nor can you do anything with it by going to "scanners and cameras" in your control panel. BUT otherwise, it seems to work great and all the functionality is there in the LTX software.
Mar 03, 2011 | Operating Systems
Feb 11, 2011 | Operating Systems
Jan 21, 2011 | Operating Systems
Nov 07, 2010 | Operating Systems
Aug 21, 2009 | Operating Systems
Jun 07, 2009 | Microsoft Windows Vista Anytime Upgrade
Jul 27, 2008 | Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
Oct 31, 2007 | Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
1,360 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: