i just replied to a fellow with the same problem and since your problem is same, ill post what i wrote him/her but try a hard reset 1st..turn the gps on then locate the little pin hole on the side, using a paper clip, push reset....if that fails, try the 2.18 update if you havent already.
updates for any magellan can be found HERE
but read below first before getting the update
i cant stress enough that patients is a must here. this update is huge 1.75GB
follow the instructions below whether you have updated your gps already or not!
There are few ways to solve this problem. i assume you installed the
2.18 update for the 3100 and assuming you tried the reset already, try
and run the update again and follow the directions to the letter..make
sure the battery is fully charged (i also keep mine plugged in if the
update doesnt say not to) and do not try and run the update across a
network. this update is huge 1.75GB and can take an hour or so
depending on the computer..do not interrupt the update process. if you do not have the 2.18 update read me file, i can try and post it here, but its in PDF and dont think i can post that
all else fails, magellan will fix or replace for free any of there gps
that were rendered inoperable due to one of there updates.
either solution will work but magellans going to tell you to run the update again anyway before sending it back.
i gave you the 2 easyest ways to fix it,but
there are other ways to get it running again, but if your not
comfortable copying and moving files...youll make it even worst then it
hope this helps.
Jul 19, 2009 - here are a few key points, but read the full update guide before trying the update again.
hope this helps
NOTE: This update is COMPATIBLE ONLY with Windows® XP.
Check to make sure you have everything required for updating your unit:
• Magellan Maestro 3100 GPS
• PC running Windows XP
• A Blank SD memory card (16 MB to 2GB)
• USB cable
• Paper clip or similar object (for resetting your unit)
EACH OF THE FOLLOWING POINTS IS CRITICAL TO THE UPDATE PROCESS
1) The battery of your Maestro 3100 must be fully charged before beginning the update.
NOTE: It takes between 3 and 4 hours to fully charge the battery with
your vehicle power adapter. Check System Settings to ensure the battery
is fully charged.
2) Your Address Book will be erased during the process. Please back up your data to an SD memory card.
a. Insert a blank SD memory card
b. Select User Options
c. Select Backup and Restore
d. Select Yes to confirm
3) Do not connect your Maestro 3100 to your PC until instructed to do so by the Update Wizard.
4) Close all other applications while performing the update.
5) Disconnect all Pocket PC devices from the USB ports on your PC.
6) Insert a blank SD card (16 MB to 2GB) into your Maestro 3100.
7) Perform a hard reset on your Maestro 3100 by pressing a paper clip or similar object into the hole marked reset.
1) Launch the Magellan_Maestro_3100_2_18.exe file.
2) Select Next on the Welcome screen.
3) Turn on your Magellan Maestro and connect the USB cable.