If it is under warranty, call service. I experienced similar odors, sounds, and failure to heat meals. The magnetron/emitter and the transformer are replaced on two separate failures. Now the third time just happened. I am afraid mine is out of warranty and I will not purchase Maytag again.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
new ovens do have a certian amount of "burn in" to do when there new best to heat up and cool off oven several times before actuall food use to remove any construction solvents and "cure" all the materials inside
also ck to make sure you removed all the shipping packing sometimes this gets left inside by accedent and smells something horrible when heated ( caution :: Foam degrades to cyanide deadly gas when heated!!!!)
Burning plastic, not food? A component has overheated badly then, with a plastic case. The main suspect would be the high voltage capacitor in the magnetron supply. This is cheap and easily replaced ONLY IF you know what you are doing and can diagnose the fault. If you don't then DO NOT take the case off the unit as fatal voltages can be present inside even if the unit is unplugged.
I'd just buy another, as they are generally uneconomical to have repaired by a service tech.
Sounds like you have a bad magnetron. Not much worth replacing in these over-the-range microwaves except the fuse. Repair will cost as much as a new one and the high voltage circuit of a m/w is not somewhere I would recommend a DIYer to mess around in.
This is almost certainly some of the protective oils and varnishes which were applied during manufacture flashing off.
All new products of this type do this to some degree but your description seems to indicate that it's much worse than normal with your machine.
Ordinarily, you can expect this to cease after a few uses and if the level of smoke and odour you've described is to be expected then the instruction booklet should say so. But as yours has visible smoke and a burning plastic smell I'd recommend that you exercise your rights under the Sale of Goods Act and return it to Tesco for a full refund or replacement. The smell of burnt lubricant is one thing, but a burning plastic smell means you can never trust the oven to be safe: none of the many microwave ovens which I've dealt with have ever smelled of burning plastic unless there was a fault.
You won't find any objection from Tesco as they do have good customer service; and when I lived in Cullompton briefly earlier this year the local branch was even better than usual at keeping customers happy.
I hope that you have found my reply to be of assistance and ask in return only that you return the favour by rating my answer.