Ventless gas fire place runs fin on low setting but will shut down on the high setting after 20min or so.
If it's a Remote Controlled unit and uses a radio frequency remote control, the unit may be overheating.
They are heat sensitive and will shut down the burner if the temp reaches 160 degrees.
If it is a Remote Controlled Gas Fireplace as stated. Move the Receiver Box as far out from the gas logs and off to side as much as the wiring will allow. If you have a lower louvered control compartment, the remote receiver should be down inside there. However, it doesn't get hot there.
If your is not Remote Controlled, the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) which is part of the pilot assembly may be partially clogged with dust, lint and/or pet hair and will need to be cleaned out.
Remember, Vent-free Gas Appliances use interior air for combustion. So whatever is floating in your household air goes into the fireplace. burners, pilot, etc and clogs it up. By the same token, the oxygen level in the room air may be too low, when you run the burner on high and the ODS is doing exactly what it should.
Finally, the Thermocouple (which is another safety feature) may be loose where it connects into the Gas Control Valve and is loosing contact when the burner is on high.
If you still have your Owners Manual for you Gas Fireplace, consult it's Trouble Shooting Guide, as well as the section on Maintenance. Both sections will be of great help in allowing you to perform the necessary things.
If you don't have your Owners Manual go online to the Manufacturer's website. There you can download the Owners Manual for your Model in a pdf format and print it.
If you don't know who the manufacturer is ... look in the fireplace or the lower control compartment for some metal or plastic tags, which should be wired to the controls. One of those tags (look on both sides of the tags) will tell you who the manufacturer is, the model number and the serial number.
Hope this helps you solve your problem.
Feb 15, 2011 |