Hi I have lost the "folder option" from control panel and also in the windows explorer "tools>folder options" by the effect of "trosan horse virus" but i can see the hidden files and folders by using only the dos command prompt. how will this resolve this problem. i have tried also the repairing of the "windows xp -sp2" operating system but can't got the result. i have also run the avg-8 antivirus and trosen horse and other viruses has been removed from my system. i always update the avg antivirus by the internet. can u please solve my problem.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Many times Windows users face a common problem. The "Folder Options" in "Tools" menu is not visible. Even It can't be accessed from Control Panel. Also "Registry Editor" is disabled. If you are also facing this problem, then you have come to right place. Follow the simple steps mentioned in this tutorial and your problem will be solved:
1 If Folder Options is disabled but Registry Editor is still working in your system, then you can enable Folder Options by editing Windows Registry. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. it'll open Registry Editor, now go to following keys:
Go into your Control Panel and open Folder Options, under the View tab checkmark "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files [Recommended]", click Apply/OK. Now go into Windows Explorer and go to C:\Windows\System32\dllcache folder and open it. There should be a copy of msimn.exe there. You can right click it, choose Copy then paste it into the C:\Programs\Outlook Express folder.
1. Enable Hidden Files and Folders: 1. A. Windows XP : 1. a.i. Click on “Start”, click “My Computer” 1. a.ii. On the “Tools” menu, click on “folder options”. 1.a.iii. On the “view” tab, locate “Advanced settings” and then follow these steps: Check the option “Show Hidden files and folders” Clear the option, “Hide protected operating system files check box”. Clear the option, “Hide file extensions for know file types check box”. 1. a.iv. Click ok and close the window. 1.B. Windows Vista : 1.b.i. Click on “Start”, click “My Computer” 1.b.ii. In the Explorer window, click “Organize” 1.b.iii. Choose “Folder and Search Options”. 1.b.iv. In the folder options window, click on “View” tab 1.b.v. Select the option “Show hidden files and folders” click “ok”.
2. Delete Windows Live Contacts folder : 2. a. Click on “Start”; double click on “My computer” 2. b. Browse to the location Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Windows logon name>\Local settings\Application Data\Microsoft Windows Vista: C:\Users\<Your Windows logon name>\App Data\Local\Microsoft 2. c. Delete “Windows live contacts folder” completely. Note:
Ensure to exit Windows live Messenger from the task manager before
deleting Windows live contacts cache folder, otherwise you will get an
error prompting that you can’t delete the folder . 2. d. Try signing into Windows Live Messenger.
Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer and then just delete the file called ForceClassicControlPanel and then exit the registry and the switch to category view should show up. i hope this helped you
Hi its a virus. Heres the fix for it. Go to registry editor by running regedit in the run box. Go to this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced In the right hand area, double click hidden and change the value to 1. Now you’re all set to go. Check it in your tools menu if the changes have taken effect. alternatively use this tool Smart Virus Remover
Type the following text in notepad
REGEDIT [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] "NoFolderOptions"=dword:00000000
Save this file as recover.reg [.reg is extension for regfiles]
Double click on it.
Log off is essential.