Question about Brother Office Equipment & Supplies
I had the same problem using my Brother MFC 8460N fax on the same line as my regular telephone, which has an answering machine.
There was nothing wrong with my equipment. It was a set-up issue. I solved it as follows, and maybe this will be helpful to you:
Here's what I did, step by step:
1. Put your MFC and your telephone near each other, and within reach of a phone wall jack.
2. Go to the fax machine. Take the telephone line with the clip on the end of it that comes out of the fax machine. Put that into the telephone wall jack.
3. Go to the answering machine. Take its telephone line with the clip on the end of it and put that into the BACK OF THE FAX MACHINE. The port on the back of my fax machine says something like EXT TAD which means external telephone answering device.
4. Go back to the fax machine. You'll now need to play around with the menu options for the fax. My Brother MFC shows this stuff in a little screen on the front. Try and find the Fax Setup options. Next, try and find the Fax Receive options. If you do, select something like External TAD fax receive mode. Do not give up, you're almost done.
5. Next, set ring numbers on both devices, the fax machine and the answering machine. I set both devices' ring numbers to 4. I don't know if these are the optimal settings, or what happens if you set them at different ring numbers. I only know that a "4 and 4" setting works for me, and am not inclined to mess with it.
6. Final detail: the setup should be transparent to a voice caller. Someone who is sending a fax, though, might be a little confused IF, like me, they lean over to listen to their fax machine dial and screech, just to be sure it's working. Such a person may faintly hear my outgoing answering machine message before they heard my fax machine's screech kick in. They might think that they had a wrong number, cancel the fax, try again, call me with questions, etc., etc. So I changed my outgoing message to something like: 'You have reached xxx xxx xxxx. To leave a voice msg, please wait for the tone. To send a fax, please continue the transmission and it will be printed. Thank you!'
That's it. Hope this was helpful.
Check out my listings on http://stores.ebay.com/WILBERE
Posted on Aug 07, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 23, 2016 | Brother MFC-885CW Used
Dec 08, 2010 | HP 1040 Plain Paper Inkjet Fax
Aug 13, 2009 | Brother IntelliFAX 2800 Laser Fax
Aug 08, 2009 | Brother IntelliFAX 770 Plain Paper Thermal...
May 04, 2009 | Philips PPF-531 Plain Paper Thermal...
Dec 10, 2008 | Brother IntelliFAX 560 Plain Paper Fax
Nov 26, 2008 | Brother IntelliFAX 560 Plain Paper Fax
Sep 10, 2008 | Brother IntelliFAX 4100 Laser Fax
Sep 03, 2008 | Brother Office Equipment & Supplies
Feb 21, 2008 | Brother IntelliFAX 775 Plain Paper Thermal...
Jan 18, 2017 | Brother Office Equipment & Supplies
223 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!