Question about Washing Machines
If this is a Whirlpool manufactured top loader (such as Kenmore, Estate, and Roper) they use a split-agitator design like you've described. In most cases, agitator slippage is caused by worn agitator dogs, or a worn cam assembly. You can access these components by following these steps:
1. Remove the agitator center cap or softener dispenser by either pulling straight up or gently placing a flat blade screwdriver into a slot located in the cap.
2. If the agitator is equipped with an inner cap with a handle, remove this as well by pulling straight up.
3. Remove the center bolt of the agitator. You will have either a 7/16 inch hex bolt or a recessed square plastic nut. If you have the square recessed type, use a 3/8 inch to ½ inch ratchet adapter to remove.
4. Remove the lower portion of the agitator by grasping the bottom flange and carefully pulling straight up. Try to keep all the parts assembled while doing this, so do not pull too hard. This will make any repairs much easier.
5. Place your hand over the top of the agitator and separate the upper portion (auger) of the agitator from the lower portion and turn the top half over in your hand. The agitator cam assembly will come out in your hand.
6. With the cam assembly in your hand, pay careful attention to how everything is assembled. The cam asembly and associated parts usually wear with age and will cause the agitator to slip. If any of the cam assmebly parts appear worn, now is a good time to replace them. The entire assembly is usually sold as a kit for $20 or less.
7. When reassembling the agitator, carefully align and reinsert the upper portion of the agitator to the lower portion. Make sure the two pieces align correctly. If equipped with an inner cap, make sure it seats and seals properly. This provides an air gap to prevent water from rising in the agitator shaft and getting inside the transmission.
8. Place the entire agitator assembly back on the gearcase shaft and reinstall center nut. NOTE: DO NOT over tighten the nut, or the agitator will not spin correctly. Just make the nut snug. Reinstall center cap and inner cap (if equipped).
If any replacement parts are required, they can be purchased at any of the following websites:
It is often more cost effective to purchase the entire cam replacement kit as opposed to purchasing individual parts. The kit usually includes the agitator dogs, cam, cam thrust bearing and replacements washers/seals (depends on the model number). The agitator cam assembly should be listed under the agitator parts listing. If you have questions, please post back with your MODEL NUMBER and let me know. I hope you find this information helpful.
Posted on Apr 11, 2011
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 09, 2010 | Kenmore Washing Machines
Mar 07, 2010 | Whirlpool LSB6200PQ Top Load Washer
Jan 30, 2010 | Kenmore Washing Machines
Jan 09, 2010 | Whirlpool Ultimate Care II LSQ9549L Top...
Apr 08, 2009 | Kenmore Washing Machines
Mar 13, 2009 | Whirlpool Ultimate Care II LSQ9564J Top...
Nov 09, 2008 | Kenmore 24032\24036 Top Load Washer
Nov 27, 2007 | Kenmore 22932 Top Load Washer
73 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!