Question about Water Heaters
Posted by Anonymous on
1) Residential water heaters are non-simultaneous. Only one element works at a time.
Upper element comes on until top of tank is heated, and then lower element is switched on until lower part of tank is heated. Lower element keeps tank hot during standby hours
2) Typical Whirlpool energy smart has 4500Watt elements. Look at label on side of tank
If both elements were ON, that would draw 9000Watts or 37.5 amps, requiring 50 amp breaker and 8 gauge wire. V x A = Watts.
All dual-element tanks are 240V.
Whirlpool energy smart requires 10 gauge wire and 30 amp breaker so electronics are not starved during operation. If your wire or breaker are undersized, that is suspect for repeated failure.
3) Typical electric water heater heats 21 gallons per hour. First hour delivery is higher since elements heat water as you use it. Overall however, electric water heater cannot re-heat as fast as gas because gas water heater burner carries more BTU punch per minute than electric element. Gas heats about 41 gallons per minute, with higher first hour delivery.
4) IF YOU HAVE OLDER energy smart and installed newer board, then you could have non-simultaneous operation is reversed so that lower element comes on first.
Read following post at Fixya:
Contact Whirlpool 1-877-817-6750
5) Another potential problem is that you have sediment inside tank and that is reducing efficiency of lower element.
Add a comment with your experience so others with same-similar problem can benefit.
Also take advantage of fixya expert assistance live.
For a price, expert works with you while you work on water heater or any do-it-yourself project.
Fixya is always less expensive than a service call.
Posted on Apr 10, 2011
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 26, 2014 | Whirlpool Water Heaters
Aug 11, 2014 | Rheem 50 GAL ELEC TALL Water Heater 6YR SC...
Apr 03, 2013 | Whirlpool 6th Sense 50-Gallon 6-Year Tall...
Mar 07, 2013 | Water Heaters
Sep 17, 2012 | Rheem 40 Gallon FVR NATGAS Low WATER...
Sorry to see you're having problems! Can you contact me directly so I can help?
Thanks! ~ Chris
American Water Heater, authorized licensee for Whirlpool Water Heaters
Jun 17, 2012 | Whirlpool 6th Sense 50-Gallon 6-Year Tall...
Apr 13, 2011 | Whirlpool Water Heaters
Mar 25, 2009 | Rheem 50 GAL ELEC TALL Water Heater 6YR SC...
433 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!