If you are getting any type of error message or warning message (except a fatal crash
message), then , click here to see the FAQ titled "Studio Launch error/warning messages" to resolve these issues.
For a fatal crash
or any type of lockup/freezing while launching, continue with this FAQ, below.
If Studio was launching for some period of time and then it stopped launching, it is best to try to determine what changes have been made to the computer recently and undo the changes to see if it has an affect on the problem. Here's a short list of what could affect Studio's ability to launch:
- A Studio patch was applied but it didn't install properly
- The graphics driver was updated
- Hardware was installed
We recommend using Windows XP System Restore. You can obtain more information on how System Restore works from the Microsoft web site at:
Troubleshooting steps for Studio hangs or crashing while launching (starting)
1. RESTART THE COMPUTER. Try restarting the computer
2. WAIT A FEW MINUTES: If Studio still won't launch, wait a few minutes to let it finish launching. We have noticed on some computers that it may take a little while for Studio to completely launch. Studio 10 users click here to see the FAQ on this.
3. LATEST VERSION OF STUDIO. There was a launch problems in previous versions of Studio 10 that are now fixed in the latest version. When troubleshooting any problem, it is always best to be on the latest version of the software.
If you have Studio version 12, download the latest version here.
If you have Studio version 11, download the latest version here.
If you have Studio version 10, download the latest version here .
Note: Studio 11 patches will only patch a previous install of Studio 11. Studio 10 patches will only patch a previous install of Studio 10. Etc.
If you have an older version of Studio (Studio 9 or 10, etc), it is advised for you to update to the current Studio software. The current version is Studio 12. Click Here to go to the Studio 12 Upgrade page.
How to download and install a patch:
When downloading the patch make a note of where it is being saved to. We recommend saving the patch to the desktop.
Before installing the patch, make sure that you do not have any other programs running. Studio must not be running.
Once it is fully downloaded, double-click on the patch to begin the installation.
Follow any on-screen prompts to complete the installation. Reboot the computer after applying the patch.
4. SAFE MODE: Try launching Studio in Safe mode. In Safe mode, many device drivers and applications do not load. If Studio will launch in safe mode, then the issue is most likely a configuration problem with your computer. NOTE: We do not recommend using Studio in Safe Mode. This step is for testing purposes only. To start in Safe mode:
Shut down the computer
When you turn it back on, tap the F8 key every couple seconds until a menu pops up. (If the XP splash screen appears, the F8 keys was pressed too late so restart the computer and try this step again)
On the menu, choose Safe Mode, and then press the Enter key
If you need help starting in Safe mode, you can click here to get information on Microsoft's web site
If Studio won't launch in Safe mode, then Studio many not be installed properly or the install may be corrupt. We recommend uninstalling and reinstalling Studio. Click here to see the FAQ on how to uninstall, then reinstall Studio 10.