Question about Kenmore Washing Machines
The lid switch on this model is located under the operator console adjacent to the left lid hinge. You will need to follow these steps to troubleshoot:
1. UNPLUG the washer before servicing.
2. Using a putty knife, insert under the front two corners of the operator console and push straight back to depress and release the retaining clips.
3. With the clips released, the console will lift up, exposing all the internal components.
4. Locate the lid switch and unplug the connector.
5. Using a multi-meter, on the Rx1 resistance scale, connect the meter leads across the terminals of the LID SWITCH. The lid switch is activated by an actuator rod on the left lid hinge. As the lid opens and closes, you should see the resistance change between infinity and a short, if the lid switch is working properly.
NOTE: If the lid switch is functioning, you should also hear it "click" as you open and close the lid. In some cases a simple adjustment to the actuator rod (by bending it slightly) is all that is needed.
6. An alternate method is to jumper across the terminals of the connecter plug end that goes to the TIMER and by-pass the switch. Make sure the jumper does not come in contact with a metal surface, so insulate if necessary.
7. Plug washer back in and op test. If the washer works normally, with the switch by-passed, then you may have a defective lid switch, or need to adjust the actuator.
Replacement parts, if required, can be purchased at any of the following websites:
The first three sites on the list have helpful exploded view parts illustrations to assist you with locating and properly identifying any parts you may need. The lid switch is listed as item number 11 under the "Top and Cabinet Parts" section. A good view of the retaining clips for the operator console is under the "Control Panel Parts" section as item 8.
If you have any questions, please post back and let me know. I hope you find this information helpful.
Posted on Apr 05, 2011
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 02, 2012 | Kenmore Washing Machines
Jul 26, 2011 | Kenmore 23822 Top Load Washer
Mar 01, 2010 | Kenmore 23822 Top Load Washer
Sep 07, 2009 | Kenmore 24032\24036 Top Load Washer
Aug 30, 2009 | Kenmore 22422 Top Load Washer
May 02, 2009 | Kenmore 3.2 cu. ft. Plus Top Load Washer
Apr 14, 2007 | Kenmore Oasis 27042 Top Load Washer
May 20, 2018 | Kenmore Washing Machines
May 18, 2018 | Kenmore Washing Machines
169 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: