Question about GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Yesterday I was reheating a non metallic coffee mug of water in my GE Spacemaker microwave. When I hit the cancel button a weird pressure explosion of some sort occurred. The door came flying open at me and missed my face by an inch or two the pressure forced me backward and there was hardly any water left in the cup. It was very scary and gave me a whiplash sensation. How do I find out if I have now been radiated? I thought my heart was going to jump out of my skin and now my neck hurts. Plus I don’t know if the microwave is safe to use. I have looked up and read about this water eruption phenomena but can’t find anywhere that it has blown the door open on someone. This was unbelievable. I am fine except the stiff neck but this is too bizarre. You don’t know anyone still at GE that might know if my microwave is unsafe do you? I suspect it is fine and it was just the rare water eruption that caused the pressure.

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • GE Master
  • 9,086 Answers

Microwaves do not use or generate ionizing radiation, so there's no worry there.

A burn is the real worry, and it's good that didn't happen.

While rare, this can be pretty dangerous.

There's a very helpful and comprehensive article about this phenomenon here.

Prevention is as simple as putting a non-metallic straw or coffee stirrer in the container before you heat it.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Aug 08, 2008

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Microwave worked this morning and now not.....made no noise just stopped heating.


HELLO.

The solution is to diagnose the magnetron as explained below.

* 1 Fill a mug with room temperature water from your kitchen sink.

* 2 Place the mug of water on the glass cooking plate inside the microwave.

* 3 Set the microwave on "High" for one minute and press "Start." You should hear the magnetron hum while it is working.

* 4 Remove the mug carefully from the oven by its handle. The magnetron is working properly if the water is hot or warm. The next step repair or a replacement of magnetron if the water is still cold.

Thanks.

Sep 22, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Magnitron does not go on unless i run the vent fan


HELLO.
The solution is to test the magnetron as explain below.

* 1 Fill a mug with room temperature water from your kitchen sink.

* 2 Place the mug of water on the glass cooking plate inside the microwave.

* 3 Set the microwave on "High" for one minute and press "Start." You should hear the magnetron hum while it is working.

* 4 Remove the mug carefully from the oven by its handle. The magnetron is working properly if the water is hot or warm. Contact the manufacturer for repair or a replacement oven if the water is still cold.

Thanks

Sep 22, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Spacemaker microwave oven - Sensor error


Hello :

Many models of the GE microwave have sensors that can detect humidity from the foods you are cooking. This allows the microwave to make adjustments to the power levels used to cook your food. If "Sensor Error" appears, you should either press "Clear" to cancel the mode or leave the food in the appliance longer to give the microwave more time to detect the food.

Press "Time Cook" to manually enter the time if you receive an error message when trying to use the "Sensor Reheat" mode of your GE microwave. The error message may be caused by the food item being too large or too small to detect
..


good luck .

please rate !

Mar 29, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Paper caught fire in microwave. microwave power


check breaker in your home electrical panel...make sure all are on

Nov 08, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Sensor error


I had the same exact thing happen...I put in some popcorn, it wouldn't pop. The screen said "sensor error". I tried heating water, a piece of chicken...nothing would heat. I unplugged it, plugged it back in...nothing. The manual says to close the door and hit the clear/cancel button. I could have sworn I had done that, but my wife simply hit the clear button and it started working again good as new. Hope yours does the same. : ))

Jun 11, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

When starting to reheat a loud crack, explosion, sound occurred,


As long as the door latches correctly there should be no danger. Some items will cause loud "explosions" in a microwave, such as whole potatoes when the skin has not been pierced. If the food contains pickling spices for example, the seeds will explode with a very loud sound like a gun.

As long as the oven continues to heat, there may be no other problem. But I suggest you stay near the unit when using it. Watch for smoke and be alert for strange odors. You don't mention the age of your oven but if it is new you can call GE customer care at 800 432 2737.

Ray

Nov 25, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave Heating Handle more than Contents


This is because the mugs are not really microwave safe.

For a while they will work, but over time, some non-safe materials' characteristics can change with repeated heating.

Eventually someone will get a burn, and/or a mug will mildly explode into a few pieces.

I have personal and professional experience with this! *grin*

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Aug 18, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Model 140 (new) stopped heating


If that is a new appliance, I would call GE and ask them to give you a new one or get someone to fix it.
This microwave should have one year warranty.
Hope this helps.

Feb 19, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Microwave Buzzing, Still Heats, but Turntable And Fan Not Working


This is not safe. If the fan is not running, the magnetron will quickly overheat and be destroyed. We answered this in more depth in the other place you asked it.

Feb 24, 2007 | GE JVM1441 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave Buzzing


It is not safe. If a microwave oven cooks without the cooling fan running, then your magnetron will soon overheat and be destroyed. At our Web site, we have important safety information plus information on diagnosing and replacing door switches. Our site is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk If it;s not a door switch, then it may be a problem (such as a bad relay) on the control board. We repair these nationwide for $32.50 postpaid in most cases, and you can find out more through that link, too.

Feb 24, 2007 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?

Open Questions:

0 Answers

GE Microwave JVM1441BH04: Safe to reconnect replacement stirrer & turntable motors after accidentally burning out the turntable motor? GE JVM1441BH04 Over Stove Microwave: Tapping noise was coming from the 21v AC stirrer motor which sits atop the cooking chamber. I disconnected the two connecting leads, unfastened the single screw holding it on, placed in on my scanner glass to get a high rez photo of all the specifics listed on the motor label. Bad news: While waiting for the scan to finish, I warmed my coffee in the microwave on the highest heat for 30 seconds. I subsequently discovered the 21v AC turntable motor, which had been working just fine, was now no longer working, with infinite resistance across its terminals, and a burnt electrical smell. Both the stirrer and turntable motors are powered by a 24v tap off the magnetron fan. My theory: By running the microwave with the stirrer motor out of the circuit, I delivered excessive voltage to the turntable motor, which quickly fried. The 24v tap off the magnetron fan motor currently shows the correct 24v output. However, with both the stirrer motor and turntable motor disconnected, running the microwave for a few seconds shows approx 95v across the wire leads for both of the 21v motors. I have obtained replacement motors for both the noisy stirrer motor and the fried turntable motor. My question: Can I simply reconnect both motors in their proper locations, vow never again to run one without the other connected, and all will be well? Or will the newly installed motors simply be fried in a matter of seconds?

Jan 04, 2018 | GE Microwave Ovens

Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

35 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9086 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1179 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...