Question about Whirlpool Refrigerators
I understand that the Refrigerator compressor is not working on your unit. There are three possibilities of why the compressor is not working, the compressor is bad, the starter is bad, or the capacitor is bad.
To check the starter you will need to do the following (most common): Refer to picture at the bottom of the post
1. Unplug the unit
2. On the side of your compressor there is a cover this is the starter relay cover.
3. Remove the cover
4. Remove the wires
5. Remove the starter (top piece stuck on two rods)
6. Check if bad (shack it if you hear a noise/knocking it is bad and will not allow compressor to start)
7. Replace it and the bottom one the over load.
8. Reinstall in reverse
The Run Capacitor (uncommon that they go bad but possible)
1. The little black or silver box that two wires run to from the starter
2. Check to see if contacts or unit is burnt.
1. If you replace the above items and the compressor is not running the the problem is the compressor. This will take a licensed HVAC person to replace.
The above parts are inexpensive between $30-$50 at your local appliance parts store. There is a 50/50 chance that this will work and save you the cost of replacing the compressor or the whole refrigerator.
Thank you for choosing FIxYa.com
Above Starter/overload and cover replacements (starter is in the bottom middle that you shake to see if you hear a noice/clicking)
Starter relay box on the left side of the compressor in this image.
Posted on Apr 05, 2011
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 04, 2014 | Whirlpool Refrigerators
Mar 22, 2011 | Whirlpool Refrigerators
Mar 19, 2011 | Whirlpool ET8WTKXK Top Freezer...
Apr 12, 2010 | Whirlpool GD5SHAX Side by Side...
Jan 29, 2010 | Whirlpool ED2FHEXN Side by Side...
Mar 18, 2009 | Whirlpool 25.6 cu. ft. Side-by-Side...
Jan 05, 2009 | Whirlpool Refrigerators
Aug 17, 2008 | Whirlpool Gold White-on-White 21.9 cu. ft....
Nov 09, 2007 | Whirlpool ED5FTGX Side by Side...
344 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!