Question about Microwave Ovens

Open Question

I have a whirlpool gold accubake built in microwave/oven combo. Model #GMC 305 PDQ6 (Jan. 2002) This unit has not been used very often and was actually stored unused for the first two years. The lights, buttons, sounds, turntable etc all work but it makes a loud buzzing noise, has a slight "grease" burning smell, and does not heat. What do you think the problem may be?

Posted by Anonymous on

Ad

6 Suggested Answers

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad
jsrock516
  • 5911 Answers

SOURCE: Microwave won't heat/Makes buzzing noise.

The symptoms you are describing are typical of a magnetron that has gone bad. Continuing to attempt to use the oven in its current condition can cause further damage. So, I would recommend not using it. Microwave ovens are considered dangerous and repairs should not be attempted by anyone that is not electronic saavy. The High Voltage Network inside the oven has voltage potentials of 14,000 volts and higher. If you feel this is something you wish to attempt, the Magnetron part number is 1156751 and costs approx. $158. Keep in mind, if the magnetron has been arcing and making a burning smell you may have burned the protective coating that lines the walls of the waveguide. If the waveguide is damaged it is not repairable. I do not know if this is a replaceable item on your model microwave. Double check your warranty information and/or owner's manual. In many cases the magnetron is warranted for several years beyond the limited warranty that comes with most appliances. Post back with comments and let me know if you want me to assist you further. In addition, if you provide me with your EXACT model number (located along the door opening) I can narrow down parts a little better. I know this all sounds discouraging, but I do hope I have been able to help you.

Posted on Jan 15, 2008

Ad
MicrowaveSvc
  • 9098 Answers

SOURCE: Whirlpool Microwave

I would suspect the high-voltage transformer in this case, but the capacitor may be failing.

The high voltage section uses and generates voltages that can be instantly lethal.

So I don't recommend that anyone work in this area unless he has either a lot of experience or at the minimum, a good understanding of the safety issues and procedures involved.

If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk

Also, there should also be a very helpful "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel. It's very helpful when troubleshooting.

You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383

Here are some links you or a friend can use for test help, but read the safety warnings first:

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/cap_test.html
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/diode.html
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/mag_test.html
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/xformer.html

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Feb 03, 2008

Skill Will
  • 53 Answers

SOURCE: Microwave does not heat/cook

hi

power spikes are very damaging to a microwaves internal parts, it sounds like your transformer and/or magnetron are blown. if the unit is out of warranty I would recommend calling a repairman or getting a new microwave (the transformer & magnetron are expensive and dangerous to work on) also get a small single plug surge protector for the new one.

Posted on Mar 23, 2008

MicrowaveSvc
  • 9098 Answers

SOURCE: Microwave makes loud noise and does not heat. Smell of light burning

Chances are you have a bad magnetron.

If it's within the magnetron portion of the warranty (usually 5-9 years) but out of the original full warranty (usually 1 year), then your manufacturer will cover the part cost, but not the cost to visit you or the labor charge to do the work.

If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical safety information, info on door switch diagnosis and replacement, and disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa.

You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

There should also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting & testing.

We're happy to help you and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Jul 28, 2008

SOURCE: Microwave makes loud noise and does not heat. Smell of light burning

replace it

Posted on Aug 07, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

I need the cutout and overall dimensions of a Whirlpool Oven/ Microwave combo unit Model RMC275PD?


Hi,

Cutout
25 3/8 width
41 inches height
23 inches depth

Overall
26 3/4 width
42 7/16 height

I’m happy to help further over the phone at https://www.6ya.com/expert/gere_bf68e6055dd61249

Apr 19, 2016 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I have a Whirlpool Gold Accubake System Microwave. I have no power to the microwave. The outlet it is plugged into have power running to it and the circut breaker is good and only runs to the microwave...


Most likely the power supply has to be replaced; but it could be the safety switch too. Do you have any experience or knowledge in using meters and troubleshooting electronics? If not and you want to repair the microwave- send it out to a qualified/ certified microwave repair shop. Or else buy a new one. Best regards ~

Mar 13, 2014 | Whirlpool GT4175SPS Stainless Steel 1200...

1 Answer

Whirlpool gold accuwave microwave oven lost power afer running em


Hello Davisaroundt, we are sorry to hear about your Microwave not powering on. If you would like for us to schedule service for you, then can you please email your address, phone number, the model and serial number, the website you were contacted on, Fixya, your review ID, and date of purchase to Whirlpool_Digital@whirlpool.com?

Jun 13, 2017 | Whirlpool Accuwave Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Whirlpool gold series model gh7155xhs-1 buttons not functioning


Remove power to unit, wait 3 min. Plug unit back again try using touch control, If it still not working replace controller assembly, touch pad and board.

Sep 17, 2009 | Whirlpool GH7155XHS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I have a Whirlpool gold accubake microwave / oven combo model number GMC305PDS07. The microwave will not turn on and will display "DOOR". I think it is thinking that the door is open?. Please help.


Press and hold the DELAY START TIME button for +5 secs and a chime will sound. The option to toggle between SND HI and SND LO will come up, pressing Delay Start Time will change it between these options.

Jul 18, 2009 | Whirlpool RMC275PD Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Whirlpool MH7140XFQ-1 microwave no longer heating


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101
kggk

Apr 24, 2009 | Whirlpool MH7140XF Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave not heating, unit buzzing, strong ozone type smell


There should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.

With a smell present, I would not suspect the capacitor, but here are some links you or someone you know can use for test help, but read the safety warnings first:


http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/cap_test.html
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/diode.html (if it is NOT shorted, it's probably fine)
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/mag_test.html (continuity can be good even though it is bad!)
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/xformer.html

I would most suspect the magnetron or transformer.

You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Nov 25, 2008 | Whirlpool RMC275PD Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Whirlpool microwave combo - has not power - model RM286PXV2


check the control unit and highvoltagae areaand megnetron , related circuit..

Sep 10, 2007 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

157 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9098 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers

Marvin
Marvin

Level 3 Expert

81285 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...