Question about Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

I was drilling a hole where I thought was a stud but hit the AC line running into the house from the unit. I have a screw in the hole until the repairman comes but I want to shut off the freon instead of letting leak into the enviroment.

Posted by Anonymous on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has answered 1,000 questions.

  • Master
  • 1,015 Answers

Go to your condensor unit outside. there should be a shut off valve on both lines just as they enter the unit.Thereshould be a brass cap with a service port under it on each line then another cap with a screw type valve.Most of these require a allen wrench to operate.You will need to close both valve by turning the valves shut by turning clockwise with allen wrench until it stops.Sometimes the caps can be fairly tight so you will need a adjustable wrench or combination wrench to remove them..Good luck and thank you.If I can help in any other way let me know.

Posted on Mar 22, 2011

  • april haugen
    april haugen Apr 22, 2014

    My husband hit a freon line drilling a drain hole. We had to get the line saudered and then had a schrader valve put in because these units don't come with service ports.



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

2 Answers

I have a 2001 wide glide, and one of my exhaust studs snapped off below the surface on the front cylinder head. Does anyone know if I can extract it with the head still on the motor or do I need to pull...

Hi David, you should be able to extract the broken stud piece with the head on the engine. you will need a screw extraction kit snap on makes the best one but any place that sells tools, ie sears or harbor freight ect. will have some type of kit. it requires also a drill bit, and be aware that the straighter and dead center the hole will maxamise your final result. also the drill bit must be new or extremely sharp to keep the bit from walking also use a center punch to dead center the stud giving the the drill a primo place to start drilling. Now if you fail with this method dont feel bad it happens alot even to the most experienced tech. There is a second option buy a 5/16-18 helicoil kit and follow the instructions its fairly easy again drilling the hole accurately will give you the best results. good luck

Mar 23, 2015 | Harley Davidson Motorcycles

1 Answer

How do you align the torque converter to the engine of a 2000 Plymouth Neon 2.0L when the transmission is still in the vehicle so it does not bind? I have been fighting with this for a couple days now and...

look in the inspection space in the bell housing and turn the torque converter around until a stud hole lines up with a nut in the flex plate ( you may have to turn the engine over till you get a nut in position)
pull the converter up to the plate and insert the stud
screw it all the way in but leave it loose
turn the engine over slowly until the next hole is visible and insert another stud
normally there are 3 studs but some models have 4
when all studs are in tension them all up

Sep 11, 2017 | 2000 Plymouth Neon

3 Answers

Sheared off alternator pivot bolt while changing alternator please help!

If bolt does not thread into engine block or head
What you will need:
Penetrating oil (auto center---pepboys, advanced auto, parts plus ect)
Screw gun example (home center)
cordless drill
corded screw gun
something with a clutch
5/32 or a 1/4" self tapping hex head screw by 3/4" long
a driver for #12 hex head(I can't remember if it's 3/16", or 1/4" or 1/4" or 5/16"
1/4"90 degress offset for screw gun(usally aroung $8.00 (home center)
Channel locks or really goood pliers (home center)

This may work, and cheapest solution. Get some spray penetrating oil. Spray what's lest of bolt on both sides. Tap what is left of bolt, making sure you don't hit what's left of the threads, or causing it to peane over.
repeat this a few times.
After oil has penetrated, on sheared side start running the screw in
This is where you use the offset for the screwgun and the channel locks to hold the offset in the right position.Once the screw seats it's self, with luck, it should act like it's driving the sheered bolt deeper. Once you see more of the end of bolt comming out, stop, use channel locks to finish removing.

If this fails or bolt is in head or block
More penetrating oil
1/4" ezeout with right numbered drill bit
90 degrees drill chuck
Tap handle (for ezeout)
Center punch
1/8" drill bit

Use center punch to put a divit in center of broken bolt
Use 1'8" bit to drill pilot hole, no mre than 3/8" deep( measure from tip of bit up to 3/8" put a peice of tape around bit)
Use the numbered bit for eze out, drilling no deeper than 3/8"
Use easy out with tap handle.
do not use "auto center's bolt extractors, they are garbage. Go to an industrial suppy or industrial hardware house

Mar 08, 2013 | Vehicle Parts & Accessories

1 Answer

Do you know how to put this tv bracket on the wall?

Yes you will need a stud finder and a drill . Find you're studs in the wall. Mark them. Then you're gonna want to locate we're you're gonna want you're tv. The height. Put you're mount up to the wall making sure the whole that will holding the screws that go into the wall are over you're studs. Get a marker mark the wholes. Then get you're drill and drill in you're screws. If the screw are real thick then I would juggest drilling pre holes this way you're studs do not crack

Nov 01, 2012 | Televison & Video

1 Answer

Thermostat broken stud

You can replace it. There are several types of screw extractors out there. They usually come with a drill bit for the correct size extractor. You will need to find out what size stud it is. Once you have determined that chose the appropriate size drill bit and extractor. Lowes or home depot carry them. Drill into the center of the broken stud. Be careful not to drill too deep as you might damage the thermostat housing. Once you have drill into the stud use the extractor to remove the broken stud. Napa auto parts or autozone should carry the stud size and length that you need. Purchase a stud and 2 plain nuts that match the thread of the stud. The nuts will be used to install the stud. Thread The stud into the thermostat housing. Once it is tight by hand stop. Thread the first plain nut onto the stud far enough so that you can get the second nut onto the stud and have a thread or two sticking out of the second nut. Once the two nuts are on the stud hold the first nut with a wrench and tighten the second nut tight against it. This will allow you to finish installing the stud. Once the nuts are tightened together, use a wrench (on the second nut only) to run the stud down into the thermostat housing. Do not overtighten the stud as you may crack the housing. Run the stud down into the housing unit the stud is the same height as the existing stud. Then use a wrench to hold the second nut and loosen the fist nut away from the second nut. Remove both nuts from the stud. You stud is now installed and you can reinstall the thermostat. If you have any questions you can email me at Good luck

Oct 25, 2012 | 1997 Nissan Maxima

1 Answer


a plastic pan under the unit with some small hose can divert the water elsewhere. use silicone calk to seal the hose in the hole you drilled in the bottom of the pan NEVER DRILL THE PAN OF THE AC UNIT ! use something to catch the water.. if you drill the unit, you take the chance of hitting one if the AC lines !!! there no fix'n that

Jun 06, 2011 | GE AEV05LN Air Conditioner

1 Answer

How are you supposed to use the plastic piece (for walls with no studs) if you want to screw the nail into a wall that has no studs?

hope you dont plan on hanging anything heavy on this. get a drill bit and drill a hole smaller than the anchor you are using, tap the anchor into the sheetrock until its flush, drill the hole at least an 1/8 inch smaller than the anchor so it will be tight enough to keep the anchor from spinning when you insert the screw

Jan 17, 2011 | Garden

1 Answer

2005 wheel studbroke off need to remove old stud

Drill hole in center of broken stud, spray with WD-40 and let soak, use a "easy out" which is l/h treat to screw in the hole you drilled., DO NOT BREAK the easy out !

Aug 12, 2009 | Hyundai Motor 2003 Elantra

Not finding what you are looking for?
Heating & Cooling Logo

Related Topics:

16 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Heating & Cooling Experts

Paul Carew

Level 3 Expert

2598 Answers

Dan Webster
Dan Webster

Level 3 Expert

8220 Answers

Donni Steen

Level 3 Expert

659 Answers

Are you a Heating and Cooling Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides