Question about Garden
Hi and welcome to FixYa, I am Kelly
Since you did not include an Engine model number my response is going to be generic.
- Remove the Recoil Assembly. If it is riveted on remove the sir shroud with the recoil.
- Remove the old rope from the pulley
- Remove the old starter handle assembly
- Make sure that the new rope is the same length as the old rope. Piece it together and cut the new rope to length if necessary
- Burn the ends of the rope with a match and make the ends of the rope as small as the existing rope bu wetting your fingers and pinching the new rope ends while very hot.
- Install the new starter handle by tying a single knot in the end of the rope then pull the rope HARD into the handle until it seats properly.
- Pre-wind the pulley and spring until they just stop from winding it up. The wind direction with be in the rotation direction that the pulley would travel if you pulled the rope. DO NOT wind it backwards as you will damage the spring!
- Align the hole where the old rope know was with the recoil rope guide of the head of the recoil assembly. CLAMP the pulley in place so that it will not unwind or have a 2md person hole the pulley in place aligned with the rope guide.
- Thread the new rope with the installed handle through the rope guide and into the knot hole.
- Pull the rope up though the knot hole and tie a single knot.
- Pull the rope OUTWARD until the single knot is FULLY seated in the knot hole.
- Release the pulley clamp or have the person holding it let go of the pulley.
- Test the recoil by pulling the starting handle several times to make sure it retracts without restriction.
- Install the recoil / and or air shroud
Thanks for choosing FixYa,
Posted on Mar 22, 2011
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 28, 2011 | Troy Bilt 5.5hp Self Propelled Mower
May 16, 2010 | Craftsman 22" Rear Bag Rear Propelled High...
Apr 29, 2010 | Garden
Apr 10, 2010 | Troy Garden
Aug 23, 2009 | Briggs & Stratton Lawn-Boy Insight Series...
Jun 13, 2009 | Garden
May 23, 2009 | Briggs & Stratton Lawn-Boy Insight Series...
May 19, 2009 | Remington PowerMower 17-Inch 60-Volt...
May 12, 2009 | Garden
Nov 08, 2008 | Yard Machines 158cc Push Lawn Mower #11a...
156 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: