There are three possible solutions here. From what you are describing to me, you say the screen displays a couple of random numbers and letters, including a solid vertical line in the upper right corner
, are scattered across the screen? Sounds like you are still in graphing mode. There is nothing wrong with your batteries and changing them won't help because I already know that you didn't change the CR Lithium Battery. This is the "memory card" for the TI-83 Plus. If you don't change that, when you insert new AAA batteries in the calculator, the memory has not been deleted. You probably don't remember, but the calculator remembers the last problem that you did, which was a graphing calculation. Try pressing the "Graph
" button and the calculator will go back to function mode. If this doesn't work, try resetting
all the memory.
- Remove a battery from the battery bay.
- Press and hold the CLEAR button while re-installing the battery.
- While still pressing the CLEAR key, press and hold down the ON button. If the home screen displays, release the keys.
- If the home screen is displayed, press 2nd MEMto display the memory menu.
- Select 7:Reset to display the "RAM ARCHIVE ALL" menu.
- Press the right arrow twice to display the "ALL" menu.
- Select 1:All Memory to display the "RESET MEMORY" menu.
- To proceed with the reset, select 2:Reset. The message "MEM cleared" is displayed on the home screen.
If this doesn't work, try changing the CR Lithium Battery. It is located in the battery bay at the top with the cross-head
screw in it (It says BACK-UP BATTERY). It tells you what type of battery it takes and how to insert them in. I hope these possible solutions help. If all of them don't, then the only other thing I can think of is that it has some internal part alignment issues or a cold soldering iron blob, on the inside of the calculator. I saw one time on the Internet that cold soldering irons can sometimes make electronics not work properly.