Question about Refrigerators
If I read the manual right the red light indicator your seeing is the exlamation point above the fast freeze button. This is telling you that the freezer compartment temp is to high.
There can be multiple reasons for this:
1. Evaporator fan not running (Check fan by depressing door closed plunger for the light switch) The fan should be on and light off.
2. An unseen block of ice over the evaporator coils due to an automatic defrosting probelm. If you can determine that there really is ice on the evaporator coils, perform the manual defrost procedures I described in my initial response. If after doing this manual defrost things return to normal for a few days and then you see the high temp indicator again there is for sure and automatic defrosting problem.
3. Automatic Defrost Problem (Causes)
a. Defrost control failure
b. Defrost control heating element failure
c. Temp sensor failure or Bi-metal 60 Deg F thermostat failure
4. Condenser fan not running in the borrom rear of the unit. (Check to see that the fan is running by removing the fiberboard rear cover.)
5. Condenser coils blocked with lint (Check the coils when you inspect the condensor fan for operation.) Clean both the coils and the fan.
6. Thermistor failure (measures temp and has a resistive output) in the freezer.
7. Compressor not running (Causes)
a. PTC relay
b. Run capacitor
c. Conpressor failure
8. Compressor running but not cooling
Check to see that one of the copper lines line is hot to the touch. If it is not hot the causes can be low freon level, clogged freon drier, damaged capillary tube.
These are all the things that can cause your current symptom.
Thanks for choosing FixYa,
Posted on Mar 22, 2011
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 07, 2012 | Frigidaire FRT21H8 Top Freezer...
Mar 12, 2011 | Jenn-Air JCD2389G Side by Side...
Dec 21, 2010 | Bosch Refrigerators
Jun 14, 2010 | Amana 22.6 cu. ft. Side-By-Side...
Feb 06, 2010 | Whirlpool ER6AHKXPQ Top Freezer...
Aug 19, 2009 | Refrigerators
Jul 08, 2009 | Refrigerators
Dec 06, 2017 | Pds GE Profile Bottom-Freezer Drawer...
115 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!