Question about Brother IntelliFAX 775 Plain Paper Thermal transfer Fax
Welcome to FixYa! Procedure A: Scanner Maintenance Procedure Printhead and Ribbon Maintenance:
Determine first if the problem is related to the print head or the scanner.
To test the print head, print the Help list by pressing the REPORTS key located on the control panel and then 1 on the dial pad.
If the print quality of the Help List is ok continue to Procedure A = Scanner Maintenance.
If the Help list printout has vertical strips continue with Procedure B = Printhead and Ribbon Maintenance.
1. Unplug the telephone line and then the power cord. Be sure to do it in that order.
2. Clean the Scanner Glass and White Pressure Bar by following the stepslisted below:
a. Lift up the Control Panel (the panel with the keypad) from the centerof the unit towards the front. The scanner cover glass is located on thebase of the unit in front of the two small gray rollers. The white pressure bar is located on the bottom, underside of the control panel.
b. Dampen a lint-free cloth or cotton swab with Isopropyl alcohol and gently wipe down the pressure bar and glass. Carefully examine the glassto identify any dirt or debris (correction fluid is common) on the glass.
c. Carefully examine the White pressure bar for scratches.
d. After cleaning, close the Control panel.
3. Plug the power cord back in and then the telephone line. Wait for the LCD to return to date and time.
4. Once the LCD returns to date and time, test the unit by making a copyof a document with black text. To make a copy, place the document face down in the ADF (automatic document feeder) located behind the Control Panel and press the Copy button located on the left side of the Control Panel 2 times.
5. If the copies document still exhibits poor quality repeat the cleaning process (step 2). Be sure to unplug the telephone line and thenthe power cord. In addition to cleaning the scanner glass with the alcohol, run your fingertip over the glass to see if you can feel anything stuck on it. If you feel any debris stuck on the glass, clean the glass again concentrating on that area. You may have to repeat the cleaning process 3 or 4 times to eliminate all dirt or debris on the glass. After each cleaning make a copy to test.
1. Open the front cover (control panel) by pulling it towards the front of the machine. Release the top cover by lifting the blue levers on bothsides. Next, lift the cover towards the rear of the unit.
2. Remove the ribbon cartridge (PC301) by lifting it out of the Brother machine.Place the cartridge on a flat surface
3. In the base of the Brother machine (where the ribbon was installed) you will see a copper colored strip with white triangles. This is the print head. Clean the print head using isopropyl alcohol and a lint-freecloth.
4. Verify the ribbon is installed correctly. Hold the ribbon cartridge in the same position it was in when you had it in the unit. The ribbon has a dull side and a shiny side. The shiny side of the ribbon should befacing up and the dull side facing down. If the ribbon is not installed correctly follow the steps listed below:
a. Flip the ribbon cartridge over and place it with the black knobs to the right and the white and blue knobs to the left. Lift the 4 knobs to remove the ribbon from the casing. Be careful that the rollers do not roll off the surface you are working on once they are out of the casing.
b. Place the casing to the side and place the rolls horizontally on a flat surface.
c. Pull the 4 knobs out of the ends of the rolls. There is one white knob, one blue knob and 2 black knobs.
d. The shiny roller should be in the front (closest to you) and the dullroller in the back (furthest from you). The ribbon should go from the top of the dull roll to the bottom of the shiny roll.
e. Replace the knobs into the ends of the rolls by placing the two blackknobs into the right side of the rollers, the white knob in the left side of the shiny roller and the blue knob in the left side of the dull roller. Make sure that the notches on the knobs fit into the slits on the end of the rollers.
f. Next, place the plastic casing with the indented arrow closest to you. Place the dull roller in the holder furthest from you with the blue gear on the left side and snap it into place. Place the shiny roll in the holder closest to you with the white gear on the left side and snap it into place.
g. Now, turn the cartridge over with the white label facing you. Turn the blue plastic gear on the side of the cartridge to remove any slack in the ribbon.
h. Place the cartridge in the machine with the indented arrow on the print cartridge pointing to the back of the machine.
i.Close the top cover and then the front cover.
Print the Help list again to test by pressing the REPORTS key and then 1.
If the print out still has vertical strips, replace the ribbon cartridge (PC301).
I hope this helps.
Thank you for using FixYa!
Keep me posted.
Scanner Maintenance Procedure
Printhead and Ribbon Maintenance:
Posted on Mar 20, 2011
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 27, 2012 | Canon FAX-L400 All-In-One Laser Printer
Mar 16, 2010 | Lexmark X6100 Flatbed Scanner
Feb 22, 2010 | Brother IntelliFAX 560 Plain Paper Fax
Feb 07, 2010 | Brother IntelliFAX 775 Plain Paper Thermal...
Sep 17, 2009 | Office Equipment & Supplies
Jun 27, 2009 | HP Officejet 6310 All-In-One InkJet...
Dec 11, 2008 | Office Equipment & Supplies
Nov 05, 2007 | Brother IntelliFax-2480C Fax
Oct 16, 2007 | Xerox FaxCentre F110 Plain Paper Laser
35 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!