- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
You must determine if the problem is the media you are using (CD, DVD) or the drive itself. (CD/DVD Rom)
First see if the driver is installed for the CD/DVD ROM by Right clicking My Computer and choosing Properties, Hardware, Device Manager. Clikc the plus sign next to DVD/CD Rom Drives to see if there is a yellow exclamation point, or question mark. This means you need to install the correct driver. If there are no yellow exclamation marks or question marks your driver is installed properly.
Next try playing difffernt CD's to see if any of them work. Confirm they are good CD's by playing them on another device, then try them on your Compaq. If the Cd's play on another device you may possibly be experiencing read errors on the CD/DVD Rom drive. Try using a CD Laser Cleaner that will clean the laser head of the CD /DVD Rom. it looks like a CD with small brushes on the music side. This may solve a read error problem. if that does not solve your problem you may need to replace the CD/DVD Rom drive.
1. Completely remove any dvd/cd player/burner softwares (i.e. Nero, Power DVD, etc.).
2. Go to device manager and remove your DVD/CD device from the device list
3. Restart you laptop
4. Windows will then try to reinstall the device drivers again for the DVD drive.
5. After another restart, then reinstall your dvd softwares again.