Question about Kenwood KAC-728S Car Audio Amplifier

1 Answer

My amp blew the 20 amp fuses. Replaced and they blew as soon as the radio kicked in. Took the back off to look for any burnt connections or blown open/expanded capacitors or resistors. It smells like electrical burnt. I didnt find anything so i put it back together and tried again now it doesnt even blow the fuse but never powers up. The only light on the unit is the main power light that doesnt light up. i checked the powers and ground in and also tried unhooking the speakers nothing helped. I have installed a different amp for now it works fine.

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.

    Governor:

    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.

    Scholar:

    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.

  • Expert
  • 117 Answers

Remove all the wires from the amp including the remote turn on wire. Once you do that, after about 30 seconds the amp will reset. Hook the power up first, then the ground then the remote. Turn the unit on and check for power WITHOUT the speakers hooked up. If you get no power by now it's a good chance that the amp is cooked. If you do get power, try hoking up your speakers first on one channel then the other channel and then bridged. If it cuts out or off when you touch the speaker wires to one channel or the other, then that channel is no good. Hope this helps.

Posted on Mar 17, 2011

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

I have a 2000 eclipse gs, I wired up an aftermarket jvc stereo system, even added amp and subs, it drives fine and has given me no problems for months...than suddenly the radio started randomly shutting...


I'll give you the correct answer, but I know you're not going to want to hear it.
Every step you did, following discovery of the first blown fuse, was the wrong thing to do, and made a simple short in wiring (or internal short in the radio or amp) now a major electrical issue.
When a fuse blows, that is telling you that there is a short somewhere "upstream" of that fuse. With the burnt wiring or burnt electronics smell, that typically is due to using a fuse (or wiring circuit) that has far greater amp rating than the gauge of wiring or devices that are connected to that fuse/circuit. Once you smell anything burnt, the simple short has now spread and increased in electrical damage.

You basically forced the electrical system to do far more damage by disconnecting the battery, replacing the under hood fuse, and forcing current/electricity to a shorted out wiring circuit or shorted component (radio or amp). People always make the fatal mistake of disregarding what a fuse is intended for, and what it should tell you, and they try to force faulty/damaged wiring or equipment to work by repeatedly shoving new fuses back in (frequently with higher amp rating). This makes what started as a simple problem, much much worse.

Now, your first step in repair/recovery is to completely remove the amp and radio, inspect each thoroughly (and smell each for burnt smell), but more importantly examine every inch of EVERY wire that leads to these 2 units all the way from the underhood fuse box to the components themselves (not easy, as you know). I suspect there may be a loom of wires that now has a major short with burnt/melted insulation.

Nov 03, 2014 | Cars & Trucks

2 Answers

My 06 Audi a4 had a blown 20amp fuse for the radio. There was a lot of feedback noise coming through the speakers even with the radio off. I've replaced the fuse, so now the background noise is gone, but...


Check that power is actually getting to the radio. A cheap multimeter will do the trick. Connect the red tester to the power supply and the black to any earth (-ve). The body of the car is earthed so any bolt into the body will do.

Check that the radio doesn't have its own inline fuse which could also have blown.

It takes quite a substantial fault to blow a 20 amp fuse so take care, there may well be a dead short somewhere.

Nov 07, 2013 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Radio fuse blew where is it at so i can change it my trucks old and missing alot of stuff .


This is what I did. You have 3 fuses that control the radio. Replace them all. One is a 20 amp and the other two are 7.5's. I did a lot of searching and some one had a similar problem as me. once I replaced the 20 and I got everything else back my radio was still out. When I replaced all of the radio fuses it worked. The fuses weren't blown but I think they were burnt and that caused the problem. once I replaced them all it worked.

Oct 29, 2013 | 1993 to 1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD Chrome...

1 Answer

Suddenly blows fuse as soon as plugged in why?


Usually a fuse blowing immediately means there is a short in the amp somewhere.

Jan 04, 2013 | Koss KS2503 System

1 Answer

I have a 2004 Chevy Cavalier. A couple of months ago, just after starting the car one day, the 'check engine' and 'trac off' lights both came on. I immediately shut off the car, waited approximately 5...


Well it's temping to put in biggfer fuses as the problem gets worse but the size of the fuses are to keep you from burning things up so you've from your probem with a 30 amp smoke test. The raditor fan wire is melted somewhere in the wire harnes to the wire for the trck lock or even key on circirts. the likly place to look is inside the stering collum. It takes the skills of removing the steering whel and the lcok plate and even then thats does'nt have to be where the problem is. You need to look under the dash after you remove the covers and use you nose to smeel for the burnt wiring and open up any thing the smells like it's been hot and anything the appers melted together. once a harness is found melted you need to seragete all the wires in the loom but don't cut the wires justy seaparte them. once you think you've got then all pulled apart so no bear wires touch each other or any meal parts put in the correct size fuses and see if you can connect the battery with out a spark. if you can you may then start checking to see what works and what does'nt.. This all sounds like too much work or too hard to do then you'll need to pay someone theat knows alot about car wiring problems to do it for you. I'll been doing this kind of work for the last 20 years and a'm alawys finding new things that are fried and burnt up. We all charge by the hour to do this work so the most experieced mechanic that works on cars like yours will probly find and fix the problem the fastest. therefore they may charge more per hour but their likly to get it right quicker and it'll stay fixed after they fix it.. This is the most likly kind of work to go sour after it's fixed cause they might miss a circuit that you use and they did'nt try. and as soon as it burns again it's back to the drawing board and if big fuses are use the fire can take the whole car.

Apr 26, 2011 | 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier

1 Answer

Car shut down directly after turning on and now wont stard we have found that one of the 20 amp fuses is blown could this be the problem on my ford taurus 05 model


Yes, it probably blew soon as you started the vehicle. It depends on what the fuse is for.
Try replacing the fuse, and see if that helps anything.

(if no fuses available, take a fuse of equal amperage from something you can live without (ie. radio, cigarette lighter) and try it in the spot of the blown fuse.)

hope this helps!

Jan 07, 2011 | 2005 Ford Taurus

2 Answers

1996 VW Jetta electrical problem


the battery was charged backwards,or the battery is hooked up backwards.

Oct 28, 2009 | Cars & Trucks

2 Answers

95 Geo Tracker Dash Lights out?


replace the blow fuse
above left knee, fuse panel there.
1 is blown.
your amp was shorted, it blew and took out what oem wiring they hacked into .

bad installation.

Sep 09, 2008 | 1995 Geo Tracker

1 Answer

Tv Fuse Blown


Depends on how hard the fuse blew. If softly, perhaps 1 amp diff is too much.

If hard - blackened inside - then you need to call in a tech.


Mr Bob
www.imageperfection.com

Dec 22, 2007 | Pioneer SD-P55A3-K 55" Rear Projection...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Kenwood KAC-728S Car Audio Amplifier Logo

204 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Kenwood Car Audio & Video Experts

xxxxxx xxx

Level 3 Expert

4848 Answers

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

75822 Answers

Jeff Turcotte
Jeff Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

8202 Answers

Are you a Kenwood Car Audio and Video Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...