Lasermart LM30 wont spin and all lights blinking
My LM30 worked OK for a while, then the zig-zag chalk line feature stopped working, and finally it would not spin for more than a second for either rotate setting, and got the flashing lights thing. Of course tried replacing batteries to no avail. So the meticulous experimenter in me started on a mission to find out why it stopped working.
If my findings are the only reason this unit gives this error, the company should be ashamed of itself charging so much for such a simple repair.
Check these two things if you get the no spin/flashing lights problem.
Test one: Gently holding the rotating head, lift up a bit. If there is a little up/down movement when you lift on it, go to test two.
Test two: Holding the unit upside down, try running through the functions. If all functions work, the repair is easy and inexpensive/free.
The problem is there needs to be no axial shaft slop for the unit to work, and that slop is removed with a thin wave washer under the spinning head. That washer get's weak over time, and I think there is a sensor on the board that makes sure the drive pulley doesn't drop too far down, which triggers the shutdown.
Small phillips screwdriver
1.5mm allen key
Retaining ring pliers
1) Remove batteries and the screws from the top of the spinning head, and remove the cover.
2) Remove three screws from the bottom of the LM30 holding the yellow case on.
3) Carefully lift off the case. The control board has a slide pin connection to join it to the rest of the internals. It has a slight resistance to being removed, but if you feel a higher resistance, the control board is probably snagging on the drive motor inside. Squeezing the case sides gives you a little more clearance. Take your time getting it off.
4) Remove a 1.5mm allen head jam screw from the prism head, and carefully slide the prism off the shaft (gently prying up with a screwdriver)
5) With retaining ring pliers, remove the retaining ring.
6) Remove the wave washer. You can find a replacement or simply bend the existing one to make it a bit "wavier". Don't go crazy, just bend it slightly more than it is.
7) Support the shaft with a screwdriver inserted under the drive pulley
8) Replace the wave washer on the shaft.
9) Replace the retaining ring
10) Temporarily remove screwdriver to check that there is no up/down slop in shaft. If there is, you need to bend the washer a little more.
11) Reinsert screwdriver for support.
12) Carefully replace prism and reinstall the allen screw
13) Remove screwdriver providing shaft support
14) Carefully replace yellow cover, assuring slide connectors line up on the control board, and replace three screws
15) Replace prism cap and screws.
16) Replace batteries and test functions.
-Rod Reidnauer (meticulous experimenter)
Jan 09, 2012 |
Cst /Berger 57 LM30 Manual Leveling Dual...