Keyword blocking and parental control features on NETGEAR routers
The below steps illustrates the required troubleshooting procedure to configure keyword blocking and parental control features on NETGEAR routers.
Applicable routers are WGR614, WPN824, WGT624, WNR2000, WNR1000, WNDR3300, WNR854T, WNR834B etc:
Login to the router page using the below steps:
1. Connect a computer to the router using any one of the 4 available ports.
2. Open a web browser (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Safari).
3. Access the router, usually by typing 'http://192.168.1.1' or 'http://www.routerlogin.com' in the address bar.
4. Login to the router with the Username as "admin" and Password as "password" (please note that the Username and Password are case sensitive).
-In the routers configuration page, under the Content Filtering Section
- Select Key Word Blocking
Key Word Blocking is:
If you want to limit access to certain sites on the Internet, you need to set up content filtering. There are two ways to filter content:
* blocking access to certain domains (for example, www.badstuff.com/XXX) or
* blocking sites that contains certain words (like profanity or explicit sexual material).
When users try to access a blocked site, they will get a message: "Blocked by NETGEAR".
-To Enable Site Blocking:
Click Per Schedule to turn on Site Blocking and block according to the settings on the Schedule page.
Click Always to turn on Site Blocking to allow blocking all of the time, independent of the Schedule page.
Note: On the Schedule page you can set when keyword and domain name blocking occurs.
To Disable Site Blocking:
Click Never to turn off Site Blocking.
-To Block Keywords Or Internet Domains:
1. Select when to turn on Keyword Blocking (Never, Per Schedule, or Always).
2. In the box where you see Type Keyword Or Domain Name Here, type the word or domain name you want to block.
3. Click Add Keyword.
4. The word or domain name will appear in the list below.
5. Continue adding names and keywords until you are finished.
6. Click Apply when finished.
Block List - The list under the heading "Block Sites Containing these Keywords or Domain Names" contains the current list of items to block.
To Delete A Keyword Or Domain Name:
1. Select the word or domain name in the list.
2. Click Delete Keyword.
3. Continue selecting and deleting names and keywords until you are finished.
4. Click Apply.
To Delete All Keywords And Domain Names:
1. Click Clear List.
2. Click Apply.
To Allow One Computer To Have Unrestricted Access To The Internet:
1. Select the Allow Trusted IP Address To Visit Blocked Sites check box.
2. Type the IP address of the computer in the Trusted IP Address area.
You should only need to type a number in the last box.
3. Click Apply.
To Allow Unrestricted Access To The Internet:
1. Select Never in the Keyword Blocking menu.
2. Click Apply.
on Mar 18, 2010 | Computers & Internet