Question about Whirlpool GS6SHAXLT 25.5 Cubic Foot Side by Side Refrigerator (Biscuit) (GS 6SHAXLT, GS-6SHAXLT)

1 Answer

I have a new Whirlpool refrigerator (model ED5FVGXWS06) with an icemaker. It currently has a copper tubing water line with compression fittings which supplies the icemaker and water dispenser. The copper tubing is then connected to a plastic line (via compression fittings) which hooks up to a reverse osmosis water filter. While it works fine, I am having a problem moving the refrigerator back against the wall because the copper tubing line keeps crimping and won't coil back the way it is supposed to. What I would like to do is to replace the copper line with the more flexible "stainless steel" braided hose which I see is available in home supply stores. However, the Whirlpool instruction guide which came with the refrigerator indicates that copper tubing (1/4 inch) should be used to supply the icemaker/water dispenser. On the other hand, the water supply to the refrigerator is filtered water which comes from my "reverse osmosis" water filter, and I have read that filtered water from a "reverse osmosis" filter can corrode copper tubing and cause problems. Therefore, my questions are as follow: 1. Even though the Whirlpool instruction guide states to use copper tubing, can I instead use stainless steel braided 1/4 inch hose for the water supply to the icemaker/water dispenser? 2. Can I use teflon tape to help seal compression fittings, and do I need to do this? 3. If I am using filtered water from a reverse osmosis filter, should I even be using copper tubing? 4. The way the refrigerator hose outlet is positioned on the back of the refrigerator, it is probably necessary for me to install a brass elbow in order to properly position the supply line. Can I use any of the types of brass "compression fitting" elbows which are sold in home supply stores to do this? 5. All things considered, what is the best kind of tubing or hose to connect the refrigerator with the water supply? Thank you for your time.

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has written 7 tips or uploaded 3 video tips

  • Master
  • 1,524 Answers

Order an "Icemaker" install kit with plastic tubing. This will solve your problem.
Bi Coastal Appliance Parts @ 1-800-673-1262

Posted on Mar 13, 2011


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get 2 Free calls (no credit card required) and instant help on almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, appliances, handyman, and even pets).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

How to Connect to water supply to get ices?

The icemaker kit should have come with a 'tap' valve for tapping into a copper or a pvc water line. It is essentially a clamp with two 1/4" bolts and a 'tee' handle that depresses a stem. The stem is stainless steel and is sharpened to a point. That point is designed to puncture the copper water line to allow water to pass through the 1/4" 'compression' fitting on the 'tap' valve when the 'tee' handle is turned counterclockwise after the puncture is complete.

Sometimes there is a malfunction necessitating the shutting off of the water supply, so locate your shut off for that line. If the valve malfunctions and you create a leak, its time to shut it off and maybe go for a different solution. There are reasonably new fittings called 'shark-bite' fittings that make leak repair or adding an additional line very easy. Your water line will probably either be 1/2" i.d. or 3/4"i.d., so figure out which one and go to your local Lowe's or Home Depot and get a plumbing specialist to fix you up with a shark-bite 'tee' and valve and material that will get you down to the 1/4" O.D. tubing size that is required for connecting to your icemaker. It will be 1/4" O.D. not 1/4" I.D.

Aug 30, 2014 | Frigidaire Refrigerators

1 Answer

I have an Admiral designer series refrigerator side by side HMG65158. I don't have a book for it and I need to know how to hook it up to water so the refreshment center will work?

There are 3 models of this unit:

That does not matter for hooking up water. Look on the back of the unit. You should see a 1/4 inch copper tube sticking out with a black rubber cap. Pull off the cap and connect your water supply using an icemaker connection kit available at any hardware. Most kits come with instuctions but it really rather simple. The key is to ensure there are no leaks at the saddle valve or compression fittings when your finished.

If you do not see a copper tube sticking out... carefully remove first the right side of the lower rear fiberboard cover and look for a water valve connection. It is usually on the rt side but since this unit is actually made by Sharp... I am not sure. Check both sides.


See this net search:

The kits run from around $10.00 for the plastic line kits and up to $35.00 for the copper line kits.
All kits use compression fittings and saddle valves for making the water connections. It is recommeded that you also install an external in line water filter even if your refrigerator has an internal filter. The external filters are dirt cheap compared to the internal filters and will make the internal filters last 5 - 6 times longer.

Thanks for choosing FixYa,

Jun 02, 2011 | Admiral Refrigerators

1 Answer

How to reassemble ice dispenser parts od kenmore model 106.5706*602

Clean out the new ice maker with warm soapy water.

Ensure that the floor surface under your refrigerator is level. If the floor surface under your refrigerator isn't level, you can place shims under the legs of the refrigerator to fix the uneven surface.

Turn off the main water supply to your house.

Clear the water line by running the faucets until the pipe clears.

Screw the copper supply line's connector to the house's cold water connector valve. Use an adjustable wrench to tighten the connection.

Slide the compression sleeve and nut onto the other end of the copper supply line. The compression sleeve and nut will wrap around the outside of the copper supply line.

Bend the copper supply line to fit into the water line inlet casing located on the back of the refrigerator. Leave slack in the line so that the refrigerator can be pulled away from the wall or cabinets. The water line inlet casing is a plastic bracket used to hold the copper supply line in place so that there is no pull on the tubing's connection. It is the larger of the two plastic brackets located on the back of the refrigerator.

Insert the compression sleeve located around the end of the copper supply line into the ice maker connector. The ice maker connector is already installed on the back of the Maytag refrigerator.

Tighten the nut over the connection between the compression sleeve on the copper supply line and the ice maker connector with an adjustable wrench.

Attach the water supply tube clamp to the water supply line by clipping it into place. The water supply tube clamp is a plastic bracket located on the back of the refrigerator that holds the supply tube so that it doesn't rattle and become disconnected. It is the smaller of the two brackets located on the back of the refrigerator.

Turn on the main water supply.

Check all connections for leaks.

Position the drain hose located on the back of the ice maker over your floor drain. Use a PVC pipe if you need to redirect the drain hose flow so that it falls over the floor drain. The PVC pipe should not touch the drain hose and should have no low point where the water can settle.

Plug the ice maker into a 3-prong grounded outlet.

Feb 05, 2011 | Kenmore Refrigerators

1 Answer

Which water line or lines do I connect to refrigerator, model # ED22RFXW01, man. 08/99

It's advisable to go with flexible plastic tube with sweet water supply. Please follow the instrction as per video attached.

Even if your refrigerator comes withan automatic icemaker, you will need to connect it to a water supply for it tomake ice. While this is not a particularly difficult job it requires someknowledge of plumbing and the use of tools. ThingsYou'll Need:
  • Compression Nuts
  • Knife Or Scissors
  • T-valves
  • 1/4-inch Copper Or Plastic Tubes
  • Drill Bits
  • Variable-speed Drills
  • Drill Bits
Read theinstruction manual that came with your refrigerator. Specific instructions forhooking up the icemaker may be included. Locate thepipe nearest the icemaker that carries cold water. Most often, this is the coldwater pipe that connects to the kitchen sink. Install at-valve in the main cold water line - not on the 3/8-inch faucet tubes - sothat there are two outlets: one to the sink and one to the icemaker supplyline. Turn offthe water. Put asleeve and compression nut over the line that will supply the icemaker in orderto tightly connect it to the water line. Turn thewater back on, and, holding the end of the tubing in the sink or over a bucket,flush the line to remove any debris. Turn the water off again. Snake theline from the water source to the icemaker connection, drilling holes in thebacks of cabinets if you have to in order to push the line through. Find theicemaker inlet from the refrigerator and attach the other end of the line usinganother compression nut. Turn thewater back on. Throw awaythe first few containers of ice to be sure the line is completely clean beforeyou use the ice.


Feb 05, 2011 | Whirlpool 25.6 cu. ft. Side-by-Side...

1 Answer

I have an older Frigidare and would like to hook up the icemaker. In the back bottom left side I THINK is where I would insert my water line but the line is so much smaller then the blue plug area. does...

The water supply line is a small 1/4" tubing (soft copper or milky-white plastic) and uses a compression fitting. That is normal. You can go to most any hardware store and get a kit for connecting the icemaker. The kit has the tubing with fittings, and a piercing saddle valve you install on a COLD water line to supply cold water to the unit. If plumbing is not your strong point, please seek help. Although it is pretty straight forward, it can be a little tricky.

Dec 30, 2009 | Frigidaire 20.6 cu. ft. Top Freezer...

1 Answer

Refrigerator Water Hose

copper is best with compression fittings, just install an in line filter

Sep 29, 2009 | Refrigerators

2 Answers

Water supply line pops off the valve and sprays the wall get on floor and winds up in the basement when water is requested by ice maker. How do you correct???

Your fill tube (supplys water directly to icemaker ) is frozen up inside the freezer . You need to replace the water valve due to slow leakage letting the drips freeze inside the tube eventually freezing solid and when icemaker calls for water , the water pressure blows the small tubing out of the fill tube .

Aug 24, 2009 | Magic Chef Refrigerators

1 Answer

No water in ice maker or water in door

Check out the water dispenser is working good condition or not. also check the value. Also the dual water valve did indeed fix the problem of no water in the icemaker. It was very easy to change out. First unplug the refrigerator, turn off the water to the icemaker and then pull out the refrigerator for easy access. Have a small pan ready to catch the water in the tubes. The water valve on my refrigerator was located at the right rear and was screwed via a bracket to a frame member. Remove the fiber or cardboard cover which is about 4'x1' to get to the valve. It might be a good idea to take a digital picture now of the old water valve showing the orientation of the plastic tubes; when you replace it the tubes should have the same orientation so you have no worry about a kink.
Remove the copper tubing from the valve with a half inch wrench, then unscrew and remove the two plastic tubes. Drain the tubes in the small pan. Mark the tubes (right and left) so you know where they go on the new valve. Unscrew the entire valve from the frame (two screws) and pull the valve out carefully. Remove the two electric plugs from the old water valve and mark them left and right.

The copper tubing goes back in the new valve but do not use the old compression washer. I cut the tubing off about one inch because the old compression washer would not come off. I also used the new half inch copper nut which came in the kit instead of using the original. Slide the copper nut up the copper tube, slide on the compression washer, then slide the copper tubing down inside the fitting on the new water valve. Screw the copper nut securely with a half inch open end wrench. The copper tube probably was secured to the back of the refrigerator with a bracket so remember to put it back into the bracket; this prevents the tube from getting bent when you are moving the refrigerator back and forth.

Next screw the original plastic tubes (left and right) onto the proper fitting of the new water valve. Be careful not to screw them too tightly; do not use a wrench.

Then plug the electrical connections back into the new water valve, left and right. Carefully push everything back inside the bottom of the refrigerator and screw it back to the frame. Take a look at your picture and make sure the tubes are oriented properly. That's it. Turn the water back on the copper feed tube, plug it in, and make sure nothing leaks.

Replace the fiberboard and push the refrigerator back to the wall. If the icemaker does not start immediately, put about 1/2 cup of water in the tray and let it restart the cycle. It will freeze the water, eject the cubes, and then magically water will flow back into the itray.

Thanks Good Luck

Aug 21, 2009 | KitchenAid Refrigerators

1 Answer

Water seeping around fitting on back where water line fastens tp

Where does the water seep from?

The compression fitting you speak of is for the ice maker and through door water (if you have it.).

If water is on the floor, then chances are the drain pan underneath the unit has a hole in it, or for some reason, the water is not getting to the pan.

If water accumulates inside the freezer, check that the tube leading to the pan on the bottom of the refer is not clogged in some way.

If the water is in the refrigerator side, there may be a hole in the tank for the through the door water dispenser. It would leak everytime the icemaker dropped ice and refilled.

Jan 19, 2009 | Amana ARS2464B Side by Side Refrigerator

1 Answer

Water leak at filter

I had this with a Kitchenaid Superba and wanted to get rid of the filter holder assembly entirely as I have an undersink unit which serves the fridge. I removed the plastic line (nut) at the back of the fridge (which led to the filter holder at the front) where the flexible copper tubing inserted (this was a 3/8' compression fitting-plastic) and also the returning line (1/4" copper compression nut on a plastic line) at the manifold (again in the back of the fridge) where it gets split between the water line and the ice line. I then just connected the 1/4" flexible copper directly to the manifold (1/4" nut, compression sleeve, male-male connector) using a pre-made 1/4" flexible compression line. Sounds complicated but after seeing how the water routes it was fairly quick work.

Dec 02, 2008 | Whirlpool GS6NBEXR Side by Side...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Whirlpool GS6SHAXLT 25.5 Cubic Foot Side by Side Refrigerator (Biscuit) (GS 6SHAXLT, GS-6SHAXLT) Logo

257 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Whirlpool Refrigerators Experts

John Tripp
John Tripp

Level 3 Expert

4654 Answers

Charles T Nevin
Charles T Nevin

Level 3 Expert

4066 Answers

Dan Webster
Dan Webster

Level 3 Expert

8220 Answers

Are you a Whirlpool Refrigerator Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides