The archos 604 is a portable media player. It is not a PC. The Archos 605 WiFi runs embedded Linux on an ARM processor.
Here is a reprint of someone who solved this problem:
i just got my Archos 605 and when accessed the content portal it said i
should update my firmware. when i said OK i got the message it faild
connecting to the server and my archos froze.
after restarting it i'm getting the Recovery code (108) i tried to
repair disk and format disk but both asking me to conncet to the PC and
update the system. the problem i cannot conncet to the PC (i don't see
the HD) and don't know what to do.
i managed to solve the problem, if you encounter same problem this is what i did:
1. connect the archos to the PC
2. click on repair
3. click on done and wait for a few seconds and you will see the
archos as a drive in your windows (be patiant it takes some time)
4. once you see the drive, open it and make sure the System folder is empty, if not delete the file that exists there.
5. put the firmware update file directly on the root drive
6. click repair again on the archos and done.
now it should recognize the update file and perform the update
it worked for me