These are the steps originally from the http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/office_all_in_one_inkjet_printers/pixma_mx340#ServiceAndSupport
Install the FINE Cartridges
1. Lift the Scanning Unit (Cover) (A) and fix it with the Scanning Unit Support (D).
Close the Document Cover (E) and lift it with the Scanning Unit (Cover).
- Do not touch the buttons or LCD (F) on the Operation Panel (G). May result in unintended operation.
- When opening the Scanning Unit (Cover), the FINE Cartridge Holder moves automatically.
- If the FINE Cartridge Holder does not move, make sure that the machine is turned on.
the Scanning Unit (Cover) is left open for more than 10 minutes, the
FINE Cartridge Holder moves to the right. In this case, close and
reopen the Scanning Unit (Cover).
2. Make sure that the FINE Cartridge Holder (H) moves to the installation position.
3. Follow the next procedure to insert the Black
FINE Cartridges into their corresponding slots
4. Open the Ink Cartridge Locking Cover
on the right side.
Pinch (I) firmly and pull up the cover.
5. Remove the Black FINE Cartridge
from its package.
- Handle the FINE Cartridges carefully. Do not drop or apply excessive pressure to them.
- Be sure to use the supplied FINE Cartridges.
- Be careful not to stain your hands or surrounding work area with ink on the removed protective tape.
not touch the Electrical Contacts (K) or Print Head Nozzles (L) on a
FINE Cartridge. The machine may not print properly if you touch them.
6. Pull the orange protective tape (J) in the direction of the arrow and remove it carefully.
7. Place the Black FINE Cartridge
into the right slot
- Do not knock the FINE Cartridge against the sides of the holder.
- Install in a well-lit environment.
- Install the Black FINE Cartridge into the right slot , and the Color FINE Cartridge into the left slot .
8. Push down
of the Ink Cartridge Locking Cover until you hear a click to close it completely.
View the Ink Cartridge Locking Cover
straight on and check that it is locked correctly (not at an angle).
9. Insert the Color FINE Cartridge
into the left FINE Cartridge Holder
in the same way as the Black FINE Cartridge.
Lift the Scanning Unit (Cover) slightly (1) and fold the Scanning Unit
Support (2), then gently close the Scanning Unit (Cover) (3).
Do not touch the buttons or LCD on the Operation Panel. May result in unintended operation.
11. Make sure that the LCD changes as shown in the illustration and go to the next step.
- It takes about 1 - 2 minutes before the LCD changes.
- Once you have installed the FINE Cartridges, do not remove them unnecessarily.
- If an error message is displayed on the LCD, make sure that the FINE Cartridges are correctly installed.
LCD will turn off if the machine is not operated for about 5 minutes.
To restore the display, press any button except the ON button.