Window may not be initialized. Follow this proceedure
Window Motor Initialization Printable View (96 KB)
NOTICE: Make sure no obstructions are present in the window system when carrying out this procedure.
A battery disconnect does not require this procedure to be carried out unless the battery was disconnected while the window was operating.
Excessive bounce-back (bounce-back that occurs with no obstructions present) may indicate a non-initialized window motor.
Carry-out the de-initialization of the motor before initializing the motor.
The motor will only operate in the 9-16 volt range. If the voltage drops below 9 volts, the window will not function correctly or may stop moving. If the voltage drops below 9 volts while the motor is operating, the motor will become de-initialized and will need to be initialized.
The front window motors must be initialized whenever: a new window regulator and motor is installed, a new window glass is installed, a glass top run removal and installation or when carrying out any operation in which grease or lubricants are applied to the window system. A new front window motor is in a proportional up/down mode until initialized.
The convertible rear window motors do NOT need to be initialized as they do not have one-touch up or one-touch down functions.
All front window components (window glass, window regulator, window motor and glass top run) must be installed/tightened and adjusted to specification before carrying out this procedure.
If this procedure is only partially completed, the front window motor remains non-initialized and only the proportional up/down functions operate. A non-initialized window motor may allow one-touch down operation, but does NOT allow one-touch up operation.
- The motor can be de-initialized in 2 ways:
- Disconnect the battery cable from the battery while the window is operating.
- Remove the window motor fuse while the window is operating.
NOTICE: Make sure there are no obstructions present in the window system when carrying out this procedure.
- After the motor has been de-initialized, the initialization procedure must be carried out.
The door MUST be closed during this procedure (for convertibles, the top and quarter glass must be in the closed and up position), in order for the door window motor to initialize.
The windows must be in the full open position for this procedure to operate correctly.
- Press and hold the window control switch in the UP position at the second detent until the window glass stalls into the glass top run for at least 2 seconds.
- Once the top run is reached, hold the window control switch in the DOWN position at the second detent until the window glass stalls at the bottom of its travel for at least 2 seconds.
- Cycle the window glass an additional 5 times to set the window soft stop for the down position.
- Test for correct window operation by carrying one-touch up feature.