Question about Frigidaire PLMV169DC Microwave Oven

1 Answer

When i turn the microwave on it has electrical short it is like there is something metal inside and everything still works what causes the electical flash

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Frigidaire Master
  • 6,771 Answers

The interior of the microwave is insulated with an industrial white enamel paint to prevent the magnetron from arcing on the inside, some of the enamel has worn off exposing metal,or the magnetron is shorting, either way this is very unsafe to use and should be checked quickly, and left unplugged in the process.

Posted on Mar 11, 2011

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

2 Answers

My microwave model mv1526w when I press start it start to spark...What makes it spark and can I fix it?


It might be the appliance isn't properly grounded or it might be it is faulty or it might be there is something inside that is unsuitable.

Microwave ovens should not be operated with nothing inside and only suitable containers should be used to hold food for heating. Cups or plates with gold painted rims and metal containers and those containing metal are likely to cause a veritable electrical storm inside.

Mar 06, 2017 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Why does my Microwave spark


That normally occurs when there is metal inside this is assuming it is coming from the inside of the cooking chamber. There should not be any metal in there as it causes a short and will burn up the magnatron in a retaliative short time.

Nov 18, 2014 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I went to change a light bulb, light bulb pulled out of threads. Tried to remove threads and without turning power off and shorted something out. Underneath lights and fan will not work. The microwave...


I would say you have blown a fuse on the unit. As you now have found out, that's one of the reasons why you unplug any electrical equipment before working on them. You will have to take the outer cover off the microwave and locate where the fuse is. It is most likely on the back of the main PCB or possibly inside a plastic sleeve or mounting near where the cord enters the unit.

Feb 22, 2014 | GE JVM1440 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Turned it on to heat food and make a loud noise , did not heat food and have electrical short ordor.


there is something metal inside that is causing this look for any screws or anything that may have been switch with a repair. what happens is the metal causes the microwaves to reflect back to the magnetron instead inside the food causing noises and sometimes sparks and odor. find the metal object remove it and this should solve your problem

Jan 29, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I have a ge spacemaker microwave JVM1640sj03. It makes a popping noise as the table turns when I have food in it. What can I do to fix this and why is it happening. Many thanks.


theres something metal inside the microwave look for a screw or something that may have been placed in there during a repair. metal causes the microwaves to reflect back to the magnetron creating the popping noise you hear.

Jan 29, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I have a Ge microwave model#je1860bh002 when i turn it on sparks acure after 5-10 secounds from inside a plastic cover on top of the microwave along with an electrical smell.


Behind this cover is usually a small metal blade fan that causes downdraught to circulate the air and electrons. It sound like it has a short circuit and should not be used. FIRE can be the result of persisting in turning it on. It should be repaired Replacement part is about $55 plus fitting so around $130 should be average.


Please rate my help++++Thanks for using FIXYA

May 08, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave shorted out when metal grease filter contacted inside


It might be that the internal power fuse of the MW may have blown. You may have to just replace that fuse if possible. Other wise the electronics (most likely a circuit board) may have been blown.

Jun 29, 2009 | Frigidaire 1.6 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range...

1 Answer

Limited heat power


It sounds like the transformer is shorting out on you but is not completely shorted.It will be shorting out on the output side of the transformer.this will give you a lower output level,and will cause the microwaves to be weaker.(less turns of wire in the secondary of the transformer).The short will probably get worse.Simply replacing the transformer should cure the microwave.

Jun 23, 2009 | Kenmore 63682 / 63684 / 63689 Microwave...

1 Answer

Microwave smells of electrical fire


The magnetron inside the microwave is starting to short out to ground. This happens after use there are small minute cracks on the body of the magnetron and those small cracks are big enough for 15,000 volts and up to 30,000 volts to leak through and arc to ground. It is not a small short but a big one. Replace the magnetron before it burns holes inside your microwave. Replacing the magnetron if you can find it locally or through the internet is pretty straightforward. Unplug the microwave and take the cover off about 6 screws. On the same side as the control panel and right behind it you will find the microwave on top. It is held in place with only three to four big screws. It will have about 4 wires with terminals on them that plug into a couple of places one being the large capacitor that stores all the voltage and discharges it through the magnetron. Take the terminals off and I always recommend with some needle nose pliers with insulated handles. There is nothing to unsolder and to solder. Its like replacing the battery in your car or the electronic module. Take care and good luck.

Jan 22, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

The unit made a pop noise and started smoking and smelled like burning rubber. Is the unit done?


I WOULD SAY SO! Most likely the power inverter board shorted out.

Sounds like perhaps someone put something with metal inside the unit without knowing and turned it on. Doing this tends to overheat the power inverter board causing a short in the system.

Be safe than sorry, replace the unit with a new one for around $100US. Lowes Home Improvement centers have some that are very inexpensive and are available in brushed stainless steel to match most kitchens.

Cheers,

Keith

Jan 02, 2009 | Sharp R-1492 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Frigidaire PLMV169DC Microwave Oven Logo

41 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Frigidaire Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9098 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

77499 Answers

Are you a Frigidaire Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...