Question about Kenmore Refrigerators
Hi and welcome to FixYa, I am Kelly.
I note that this is a 21 year old refrigerator. Loads of things that can cause the symptom your describing at this point.
Things I see you have done:
1. Cleaned the coils front (I assume you mean inside the freezer) and rear (by the compresor).
2. Changed temp settings
3. Checked "the fan"
Things you need to check....
1. Is the evaporator fan in the freezer compartment running at full speed? If it is running very slow... it will NOT properly cool or freeze.
2. Is the condenser fan in the back of the unit near the compressor running? Just note that if the condenser fan is not running the main chassis will be very warm to hot where the door seals close on the chassis.
3. Is the COMPRESSOR running at all or is it trying to start and then you year a click after about 40 seconds that repeats in 4 - 5 minutes? Another note... 20 year old compressors can start to drag the ROTOR against the Stator and cause higher than normal utility bills... before complete failure. If you noticed your electric usage creeping higher and higher over the last few months you may have a bad compressor.
4. Are you 100 percent sure there is NOT a large block of ice in the back of the freezer compartment all around the evaporator coils? If you find that there is a large block of ice then you need to do a 2 hour manual defrost with an external fan pointed into the freezer compartment, contents removed and the unit unplugged.
After doing step 4 you can return the unit to normal service but if there is an automatic defrosting problem that is HIGHLY likely on a unit that is 21 years old.... you will need to have the automatic defrosting problem corrected.
A note about your ice maker. It has an internal thermostat that has to reach 14 - 16 deg F for the ice maker to start the harvest / fill cycle. If your freezer is running at 30 F it will NOT make any ice automatically.
Thanks for choosing FixYa,
Posted on Mar 11, 2011
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 08, 2013 | Kenmore Ice Maker Kit For Sears Whirlpool...
Sep 09, 2011 | Refrigerators
This is the Run Capacitor=> 4387764
Thanks Sea Breeze
Dec 27, 2010 | Refrigerators
Jan 26, 2010 | Kenmore 55612 / 55614 / 5561 / 655619 Side...
Jan 08, 2010 | Refrigerators
Aug 22, 2009 | Kenmore Refrigerators
Jun 14, 2009 | Kenmore Refrigerators
Feb 19, 2009 | Kenmore 5553 / 655532 / 55534 / 55539 Side...
396 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!