Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

The metal plate inside the microwave seems to have a whole burnt in it, is this safe to still use the microwave

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Microwave Ovens Master
  • 8,820 Answers

Quite often this is due to grease or food particles stuck to the inside of the oven or stuck on or behind the waveguide cover.

The waveguide cover is usually about the size of a playing card and often held in place by a plastic rivet.

It can be fragile, and the metal edges of the oven behind it can be sharp, so be careful!

The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.

If the cavity metal of the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and clean and dried thoroughly.

Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Builder's Square.

If your waveguide cover is burned, it will need to be replaced. It provides important protection for the magnetron.

If you need further help finding the part, please reply back with your brand and model number so we can help you.

We're happy to help you and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Aug 02, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

I need to know if its safe to operate a microwave on a metal chrome wire shelf similar to a bakers rack which can hold 100 pounds per shelf


some microwaves are able to accepa a metal object others are not.
If your microwave ever came with a rack or a temp. probe made from metal then you can add a rack,newer microwaves bounce the microwaves better than older ones,thus the ability for the microwaves to bounce better.
Older microwaves direct the microwaves to a pinpointed center of oven, so what happens when there's metal in the focus area?
It bounces straight back to the transmitter which in turn over heats.resulting in a burnt out microwave transmitter.
good luck,Gary

Oct 28, 2013 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

MICROWAVE METAL PLATE CRACKED


it is megnatron plate which broke. You can replace that plate yourself . Also can can work without if safely.

Jun 20, 2013 | Hamilton Beach 1.1-cu ft Microwave Oven,...

1 Answer

Electrical arching between top metal plate and shell?


i would imagine its a shield but iam not completely sure without a good look

Nov 20, 2011 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My Goldstar MV-1310W microwave has sparks flying from the metal plate that's inside on the top.


Microwave ovens do not work well with exposed metal. IF you place uncoated metal in the oven, sparks will occur.
IF the interior of the oven has the metal exposed, it will cause sparking to occur.

There must be NO exposed metal inside a Microwave oven!

Aug 15, 2011 | Goldstar MV-1310W/B Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Inside metal plate is burnt on the top part of the microwave and there is a hole


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101

Aug 09, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Burnt bottom of large cast iron pot very discoloured and a certain taste seems to affect the food


Hi, Most microwaves do not allow you to put metal pot or pan in side. If sparks are coming off of pots do not use any more. You should be using proper microwave safe ware. Good luck.

Jun 20, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I covered the plate with 'heavy duty aluminum foil' thinking it was safe for for microwave use, then I saw a sparkle inside while turning. I stopped it, took off the aluminum cover, turned the microwave...


The food is safe as long as the food has not got oxidized aluminium on it.
Microwave energy is very high and will melt metals!
As long as it is not arcing any more there should be no problem.

Jan 03, 2011 | LG Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Sparks and Flames in my Kenmore 66561652100 Microwave


usually the only thing i'm aware of that will do that is if there is some kind of metal object in the microwave when you cook... even plates with thin painted metalic bands on the cause that affect.

remove the hook... place a container filled with water inside the microwave for about a minute to aid in cleaning... and examine the hook for any metal.

Mar 23, 2009 | Kenmore Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Burnt hole in metal plate inside microwave oven


Ok stop useing oven and unplug! THIS CAN BE FIXED!!! Go to a home improvment store and buy a small bottle of white liquid enamal....Clean up the area that is missing and flakeing and then apply the enamel over the hole and let dry overnight! now that the exposed metal is covered back up it is safe to use and will not spark or cause any more soot!
PLEASE rate my response to your question!
THANK YOU!

Jan 08, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Bottom of GE interior door microwave is burnt/rusted


just use sand paper to clean the rust then use some high temperature paint (sold in tins) eg spray paint but it must be labeled high temperature and spray 2 to 3 coats . your microwave should be safe again

Nov 17, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

68 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...