Need helpetting up wireless connection
WIRELESS ROUTER SECURITY
When you power up the wireless router and the LEDs are ON then the router appears to be OK and this also applies to the DSL or cable wireless modem. To check if the modem is configured to your ISP settings and the modem connects to the Internet, connect the modem with a LAN cable to your laptop and check if you can get into the Internet. To connect to your wireless router, it needs the router's wireless settings configured and also needs the wireless cards in all the laptops and or computers to be configured with the router's wireless settings. Then the laptops and desktop computers can communicate with your wireless router. To set-up and secure the wireless router from unauthorized access, follow these steps: - 1, Connect the wireless router to your computer with a LAN cable.
2. Start your browser and enter the router's configuration URL IP address.
3. Enter the router setup, login and password
4. Change the admin password
5. Go to the wireless settings and change the default SSID and turn off SSID broadcast.
6. Setup encryption key the strongest is WPA2 (if not then WPA). The encryption key can be easily set up using a passphrase (it can be an alpha numeric phrase or words). 7. For further security measures - turn on MAC address filtering and enter the MAC address of the wireless cards on the computer/s you want to connect to this wireless router.
8. Record the settings you have made and keep it in a safe place and Save the settings.
9. Configure the wireless cards on the computer/s with the SSID and encryption settings of the router.
10. Remove the LAN cable between the router and the computer then the computers should be able to connect to the router wirelessly.
Jan 22, 2013 |
HP PC Laptops