Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Model Jvm1440wh01 I inadvertently put some aluminun foil in microwave, the bag caught on fire and microwave went dead. I replaced fuse but so far have not been able to get machine to operate. Thanks

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • GE Master
  • 8,820 Answers

There should be a flame sensor (aka oven thermal cutout or TCO) located on the top left side or corner of the chassis.

You will have to remove the outer cover to find it.

You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

There should also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting & testing.

We're happy to help you and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Jul 28, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Heat: I placed a microwavable food product in my sharp carousel r-1505. there was a tiny piece of the foil still attached to the rim of the product container. upon start, the foil immediately caught...


Maybe. The presence of metallic material (foil, stainless steel silverware, etc.) in an operating microwave oven creates electric arcs between the foil and the inside wall of the oven. And this can destroy the electric components.

Sep 22, 2013 | Sharp R-1505 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I was defrosting frozen spinach in a plastic tub for ten minutes and inadvertently had it on full time! Spinach caught fire and tub melted totally down! Nothing is working on the microwave now. Is it...


The microwave oven is not worth sinking the money into, the interior paint has probably burnt off, door and switches will probably need replacement, the turntable plate, and additional parts "turntable motor" and other major parts are suspect, replacing the microwave oven in my view is the safest alternative.

Mar 19, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Daughter put tin foil in microwave. Now it take 5 min to pop a half a bag of popcorn. And won't make a baked potato at all.?????


any exposed metal will burn up a microwave.Unless it is a very exspensive model,It will cost more for a repairman to fix than it would to replace

Oct 11, 2010 | Maytag Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Hamburger in foil wrap put in microwave - shorted unit out


Hi- The first thing here is safety. If the power supply is good- 120v at outlet- then address the fuse in the cabinet. Open door, remove screw(s) holding control panel, and tilt out panel. Fuse should be visible. Check for continuity. If bad, replace with 15amp appliance fuse. Plug in and check for operation. If fuse blows again, unplug and start looking at a new microwave. Let me know if this info helps. Have more if needed- Thanks- Ed

Mar 15, 2010 | Whirlpool MH6141XK Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Rudy0819: My GE Microwave Spacemaker model JVM1440WH01 just stopped heating. I used it earlier and it worked fine. When I went to use it again, it won't heat. Everthing else works, the light, fan, etc,...


The most likely thing is the magnetron has 'died' but there is a high voltage fuse between the capacitor and the magnetron which may blow. Either way, repairs to microwaves are dangerous and should only be undertaken by a qualified repairer. PS I have seen a mouse cause this problem!

Sep 22, 2009 | GE JE1640 Microwave Oven

2 Answers

MW8115SS worked perfectly and then went dead


Blown fuse , take the outer cover off and change the fuse. Iff you don't have a fuse use a piece of tin foil until you find a replacement fuse.
Hopefully this helps you out.

Aug 18, 2009 | Emerson MW8102SS 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I tried poping some popcorn in a brown paper bag and it caught on fire. I tried to the microwave again after i put the fire out and cleaned the mess up but nothing is working at all. No breakers were...


all microwaves have flame sensors that will cut the power in case of fire, this sensor will most likely have to be replaced. this will require you to drop the m/w and remove the case.

Jun 16, 2009 | Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Fire in microwave


Do not put any metallic objects or substances in side the oven . It will produce arcing inside the oven. Take care in future.

May 10, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven Logo

412 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...