Question about Microwave Ovens
The mentioned microwave the fan will not turn off. I unplugged it and plugged it again but still there. it appear to be be in low but when button press wont turn off. Please help thanks.
VK, most likely the switch body has become loose and it's out of adjustment. Unfortunately, to gain access to it, you'll have to remove the MW from the cabinet, set it on a suitable work area and disassemble it. Before doing anything like this, please read the following link carefully and ask yourself if you're up to it... http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/safety.html Remove the trim then remove the screws holding the MW. Pull the MW out and rotate slightly to see where it's plugged in and unplug it. Then pull it all the way out. Remove all the aluminum trim from the MW and all the screws holding the cabinet. To remove the cabinet, stand behind the MW and grasp both sides... pull back and up at the same time. Set aside. NOW!!! DISCHARGE THE CAPACITOR AS PER THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE LINK ABOVE!!! OK, up by the control panel, you'll see the latch/lock assy. (it has 3 brown switches mounted to it). It's held in place by 2 screws, the lower screw is the one you'll be working on. Adjust this by opening and closing the door and watch the action on how it works and make your adjustments as needed. Now, you'll need to test it before reinstalling. Plug it in, BUT DON'T TOUCH ANY WIRING! Now give it a try. If you need to make another adjustment, DISCHARGE THE CAPACITOR AGAIN BEFORE DOING SO!!! Do this every time you plug and unplug! Continue adjusting 'til you get it. Now, there's a chance that one of those switches is about to go bad and the mounting bracket is fine. In this case, those switches are generic... not GE specific. Remove the wiring from the switches and make notes on their respective locations. Remove the switches from the bracket (starting from the top) and label them 1, 2 and 3. Take these to your local appliance parts store and ask for generic replacements, they are cheap... about 5 bucks each. Then replace them in the same order you removed them. And re-test. This will get you fixed, but please be careful working on Microwave ovens. They are dangerous!
Posted on Sep 27, 2007
SOURCE: GE Spacemaker XL 1400 Microwave
Generally, the most common causes of a failure to heat are:
- bad door switches or door switch mounts
- loose connection at the magnetron
- problem or loose connection on the control unit circuit board
- bad magnetron or other high voltage part
If you or a friend decide to look into it, we have critical safety information, info on door switch diagnosis and replacement, and
disassembly information at our site, linked here on Fixya: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383
Posted on Nov 28, 2007
SOURCE: GE Microwave MODel JVM1540DM1WW
I would double check the owner;s manual and installation instructions.
You can download GE owner's manuals and installation instructions here.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Nov 21, 2008
You are correct the fan motor is either stuck or needs replaced.
There is no way to do this without removing the entire microwave. In case your not familiar with how microwaves work, there is a capacitor that is very large inside and can hold a charge even after it is unplugged for up to 24 hours, please take action to prevent getting shocked.
Posted on Sep 11, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 24, 2011 | GE Microwave Ovens
Feb 11, 2011 | GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven
Jan 17, 2010 | Frigidaire PLMV169DC Microwave Oven
Oct 08, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1540 Microwave Oven
Dec 15, 2008 | GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven
Nov 07, 2008 | GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven
Apr 27, 2008 | GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven
Nov 06, 2007 | GE JVM1630 Microwave Oven
319 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!