If you've forgotten the password for your AOL Mail account, follow the steps below to reset your account with a new password.
To reset your password:
1. Visit My Account
2. On the Sign In screen, under the Password box, click the Forgot Password?
3. Enter your AOL Username or email address in the Username or Email
4. In the second field, enter the words or characters you see displayed in the image and then click Next
If you don't see the image clearly, you can click the refresh button
to display a new set of words or characters. If that doesn't help, you can also click the volume button
to have the words read aloud.
5. Next, we'll need to verify that this account belongs to you. Under Verify this is your account
, select a confirmation option. For more information, select an option below:
In some cases you may be asked to choose an additional option. If you need further assistance, please call Member Services at 1-800-827-6364
Monday through Friday between 8AM to 1AM ET, and Saturday between 8AM and 10PM ET.
I forgot the answer to my AOL Account Security Question
.If you choose to answer your Account Security Question
, enter the answer to the question in the text box and select either one of the options for your second set of verification details.
You'll have any two of the following three options on your screen:
- if you click Account Holder, then enter your first name and second name in the boxes provided, OR
- if you select Personal Details, then enter your date of birth and your zip code in the boxes provided, OR
- if you select Alternate Email, then enter your alternate email address in the provided box
You have six attempts to enter the correct details for this option. If your sixth attempt fails, your account is locked for 24 hours.
6. You can now reset your password (Yes!). Reset your password by typing a new password in the New Password
box, and then re-typing your new password in the Retype New Password
box. Your password is case-sensitive and must be 6 to 16 characters long. For additional help in creating a strong password, please see Tips to create a secure password
7. Click Next
8. Congratulations! Your password has been reset. Click Done
to sign in with your new password.
If another window pops up asking for your name, age, etc., don't be alarmed! If it's been a while since you last updated your account profile, we may take this opportunity to ask you to fill out any information we currently don't have on file.
For additional password help and information, please refer to our Password Help product page
. You may also contact Member Services at 1-800-827-6364 Monday through Friday between 8AM to 1AM ET, and Saturday between 8AM and 10PM ET, or visit AOL Mail Help