I am able to align all red and yellow convergance crosses. When I try and align the blue/green convergance the blue will not align in the upper left corner, lower left corner and right in the middle of the screen. I can cover the blue and the green is perfectly aligned, so I'm pretty sure the problem is with the Blue Lamp or Amp that controls it? The problem is more dominant in the upper right and lower left. I have cleaned the mirror/lamp lens, etc. Is it the lamp or an amp issue? I have electronic background, just not with TV's. I feel it's something I can fix without paying a TV repairman. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has answered 1,000 questions.
Re: 51mp392h Blue Convergence Problem
This is the one thing that even make TV repair persons shudder. You don't really have a convergence problem in the normal sense. The convergence works. What you have is a misaligned convergence situation which any documentation and or book on TV repair will tell you that at this point manual convergence adjustment is needed and the only thing you will have to do is keep trying to adjust the convergence until you get the center aligned, and then work towards the outer edges using both static (Center) and dynamic (outer edges) convergence techniques.
I have used this book when I use to teach TV repair. I hope you discover what I am tried to convey in my e-mail, this is no longer a question of can you fix a TV? It has become a question of do you have the patience to adjust a TV.
Good fortune in doing this, you will succeed if you just take your time and do static convergence first and then do the dynamic convergence with the manual controls. The procedure will be in the service manual.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Normally on the RCA rear projection TV's you would bring up your menu and choose the Setup menu, then press OK on the remote. That menu would then have Convergence as a choice. Once that was chosen the next menu would give you the choice of either letting the TV run it's own Autoconvergence program, or you would select either Red or Blue convergence.
Choosing Red Convergence would bring up a Yellow cross-hair in the middle of the screen. If the Convergence was not correct you would see separate Green and Red cross-hairs. Once they were perfectly aligned you would again see one Yellow cross-hair.
Choosing Blue Convergence would bring up a Blue cross-hair in the center of the screen. If the alignment was out you would see 2 Blue cross-hairs. Using the Up and Down and Left and Right cursor keys you would adjust the alignment until a single solid Blue cross-hair was in the center of the screen.
Image at top and bottom edge very distorted.
Reheat all the surface mount solder points on the Small Signal Board. Then realign the set including convergence menu. To enter service mode: power off the set for 10 sec, then hold down Vol- and Ch- buttons for 10 sec. See this link: Alignment Procedure (pdf)
Also download the Alignment procedure pdf file. Hope this will help you. Please let me know if the information was of any help to you or you need further assistance.
Here is a walk through on how to set your convergence.
A quick and easy way to try and let the TV realign the convergence try this...
1) Turn on the TV and tune to a channel and let it warm up for about a half an hour to let everything settle into its normal operating mode.
2) Press the Flash Focus button on the original TV remote. A cross pattern will show on the screen and the process is complete when the cross turns white and the TV returns to the program you were watching.
3) Do not press any other buttons until this process has completed.
If this does not adjust it enough you can adjust the convergence manually as follows:
1) Press the menu button on the original TV remote.
2) Use the arrow keys on the remote to highlight setup and press + button to select.
3) Use arrow keys to select convergence and press + button to select.
4) A pattern of white crosses appears, with a yellow [ ] around one of the crosses. Aligned crosses (which do not need adjustment) look white and have little or no red or blue showing. Crosses that are not aligned show red or blue shades beyond their edges.
5) Use the arrow keys to move the [ ] to a cross that is not aligned. ***Note: start with crosses in the middle and work outward **** *** TIP: Set the alignment while about 5 feet from TV for better results ****
6) Press the + button to select the cross and the [ ] will turn red indicating it is ready to adjust the Red convergence.
7) Use the arrow keys to move the red cross on top of the white one or at least as close as you can get it.
8) Once the Red is aligned press the + key again and the [ ] will turn blue. This indicates it is now ready to adjust the blue convergence.
9) Use the arrow keys to move the blue cross on top of the white one or at least as close as you can get it.
10) Once you have aligned the blue cross press the + button again and the [ ] should turn yellow.
11) Repeat steps 5 through 10 until all the crosses are aligned. To exit back to regular programming press the menu button on the remote.
Adjust the convergence or reset it to factory default. Use only the remote when adjusting convergence. The front controls have no effect.
Press action button to enter MENU.
Navigate to SETUP.
Scroll down to CONVERGE.
Press VOL > to select.
Press CH buttons to navigate up or down.
Choose CONVERGENCE ADJ or RESET TO DEFAULT.
Press VOL > to select.
If CONVERGENCE ADJ is selected the align Green to Center screen will be displayed.
Use the navigation buttons on the remote control to align the horizontal and vertical green lines on screen, with the cabinet reference marks on top center and left center of cabinet.
Press ACTION button to display red center correction screen.
Use the navigation buttons on the remote control to align the red cross with the white cross pattern at the center of the screen. To prevent picture tube damage do not leave test pattern on for an extended period of time.
Press “0” on the remote control keypad to display the BLUE center correction screen, repeat procedure for adjusting blue. If needed press “0” again to return to RED correction screen. An adjusted cross pattern appears white with a minimum of color protrusion.
NINE POINT CONVERGENCE CORRECTION Remote Control must be in TV mode.
Press ACTION button to display red correction screen.
Press the 1 through 9 keypad buttons on the remote control to select the desired convergence position.
Use the navigation buttons to align the RED cross with the white cross pattern.
Press “0” on the remote control keypad to display the BLUE correction screen, then repeat procedure.
To exit press ACTION button repeatedly, then press CH up.
bad convergence would cause show to look as if it was supposed to be a 3-d movie, if a bulb was going out then people would look purple blue -green,or some other off color, so likely the green bulb is going out from the color of the people you described.
Does the blue and red crosses move at all ... eather vertically or horizontally. if they move at all then it may not be the chips.. could be a resistor. if the crosses dont move then it probally the ic. these chips run about 7 to 45 dollars apeace depending on type. at our shop we charge around 125 to put in.
your convergence amp ic's./if you want to cheat/align the other two colors and manualy move the green yoke rings on the green picture tube neck so the green cross aligns with the red and blue.,they shuold form white when all three are aligned,on top of each other.
Touch-up Convergence adjustments
Enter the Digital Convergence Mode (DCM) by entering 0-6-2-5-9-7-(Status or Index) on the Remote control. The following menu will appear:
Select an active channel or Aux Input. A signal must be applied to the set when performing convergence.
If any Customer Adjustments need to be made, the Menu button can be used to toggle between the Customer Menu and DCM. The MPOSD ADJUST is used to center the Customer Convergence grid. A
highlighted cross will appear along with the Convergence alignment grid. The highlighted cross should be centered onto the center of the Convergence grid.
To perform a Touch Up Convergence, highlight SELECTION and press the right cursor button on the remote. The following menu will appear:
Selections STORE, RESTORE FACTORY, and RESTORE DEFAULT are not shown after selecting
SELECTION. Press the cursor down button on the Remote for these selections to appear. RESTORE
FACTORY loads Convergence defaults from the Factory Loaded section of the Convergence Memory IC.
RESTORE DEFAULT loads Convergence defaults from the sets software.
To perform a Touch-up Convergence:
1. Enter the Convergence Mode and select RED TO GREEN or BLUE TO GREEN. Do not select
GREEN (Green Geometry) without placing a Template over the screen. To perform Green
Geometry, refer to the Complete in-depth Convergence.
2. Use the Cursor buttons on the Remote to Navigate from one adjustment point to another. Press the
Status or Index button on the Remote to select ADJUST. Use the cursor buttons on the Remote to
adjust the Red to Green or Blue to Green. Press the Status or Index button again to navigate to the next adjustment location.
3. After Convergence alignments are complete, press the Menu button on the Remote to return to the SELECTION menu.
4. Highlight the STORE selection and press the right cursor key on the Remote to save changes.
5. Use the GREEN TO RED or GREEN TO BLUE selections to perform convergence when the Green CRT has been replaced.