Question about Kenmore 63792 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave oven Yesterday I heated some hamburgers which had been wrapped in aluminum foil in the microwave. Unbeknownst to me, I left 2 small pieces of foil in the boil I heated them in. Eversince, whenever I have tried to use the oven, it turns on for a few seconds, starts to smell and turns itself off. Did I fry the motor, destroy it for good, or is there an easy fix to this?

Posted by on

  • William Miller
    William Miller May 11, 2010

    Chances are the magnetron was damaged, and is overheating now.

    Does the cooling fan run when you try to cook?




×

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Kenmore Master
  • 19,396 Answers

If you put metal, like an alluminium foil into microwave, the magnetron will start arching, and you will damage magnetron, diode or capacitor.

Test the high voltage capacitor, the rectifier diode.or the magnetron. If all this are fine, test the control board.

The diode and capacitors can br tested. The capacitor must be allowed discharge before testing, or you risk to get electrocuted, even if power is off. Capacitors can get discharged by shorting their two contacts.
Replace the magnetron if the checks and all of the high voltage component tests are good, but the unit still does not heat.

All locations, and description of this parts can be located using the diagram here: Counter top.

Parts must be tested to find out what is wrong.

Remember that microwaves are potentially dangerous devices if not repaired properly, the job must be done by a competent person.
A microwave energy leakage test must always be performed when the oven is serviced for any reason.

Regarding parts, contact the seller here to purchase parts. (here in UK).


Posted on Apr 27, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Microwave doesn't work after press the start button


Blown fuse inside the oven. If you can do electrical work, repalce it. I wrapped mine in aluminum foil as a quick fix, as I understand the very high risk of fire and possible death from doing so.

Nov 21, 2013 | Sharp R-408J Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Popping sound coming from my panasonic NNCD997S


The following works better if done in "low light".

Put a cup of water or small bowl in the unit, close the door and turn the microwave on.

If there is anything that you can see in the cooking area, there should be sparking and it is coming from something metal, even a small piece of aluminum foil that was left behind. The thing causing the sparking needs to be removed.

If you hear the noise and it is coming from inside the area of the microwave that you cannot see then you can:

1 - Take it to a repair shop.
2 - Depending upon the cost for repair, consider buying a replacement.

If the noise is inside the machine DO NOT CONTINUE TO USE IT. Get it FIXED OR REPLACED for your own safety.

Good Luck

Apr 06, 2013 | Panasonic NN-S969 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I put pizza wrapped in aluminum foil into the microwave for 3-5 seconds until i saw sparks.. i took it out and it left black marks on the microwave. How do i get it off? Does the microwave still work?


If you shut it down quick enough the microwave will be operational, to remove the black marks mix baking soda in water and until becomes a paste, apply over affected area's let it sit for 5 minutes and wipe off with clean warm water.

Jun 11, 2012 | Tappan Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

I put a metal pan with food inside my microwave oven. I heard a popping sound and there are now two tiny black marks pitted into the glass on the door. I can feel the two pitted marks from both inside...


Yes it is safe to continue using the Microwave as long as the integrity of the glass is not compromised and the pitted marks do not exceed 1/4 inch. The RFwave generated by the magnetron is a pretty wide RF wave beam.

If your really concerned you can take the unit to any appliance service center and ask that they perform an RF leakage test. There is really no other way to know if your leakage is within acceptable limits. I can tell you from personal experience that the ony microwave I ever saw demonstrated excessive leakage had either been dropped and had hinge or latch damage.

If your really worried about it and can not get to a service center you can do this test:
- Wrap a tall empty glass with a sheet of aluminum foil and place it about 3 inches away from the microwave in front of the area you where noticed the pitting.
- Run the microwave with a GLASS filled with water of equal size for 1 minute.
- Stand back 3 to 4 feet and watch for any signs of a spark on the aluminum foil.
- As soon as the microwave shuts off check the dry foil wrapped glass for any signs of heat.

(No heat.... no problem. Sparks or Heat = repair time.)

Thanks for choosing FixYa.

Kelly

Sep 21, 2010 | Sharp R-1480 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Hamburger in foil wrap put in microwave - shorted unit out


Hi- The first thing here is safety. If the power supply is good- 120v at outlet- then address the fuse in the cabinet. Open door, remove screw(s) holding control panel, and tilt out panel. Fuse should be visible. Check for continuity. If bad, replace with 15amp appliance fuse. Plug in and check for operation. If fuse blows again, unplug and start looking at a new microwave. Let me know if this info helps. Have more if needed- Thanks- Ed

Mar 15, 2010 | Whirlpool MH6141XK Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Will tin foil in the microwave ruin it completely? The microwave turned off after my son mircowaved a potato wrapped in tin foil.


You should always put a spoon in a cup of liquid that you heat in a microwave oven.
The microwave with a potato wrapped in tin foil is like operating the oven with nothing in it! If the microwave was spotlessly clean then your in trouble.
1 put a cup of cold water in the microwave and set for 5 minutes. if the water boils then your lucky if it cold then go and buy a new microwave and stop your childs allowance for a fortnight.
One might ask the question how old is your child and should they be using such a machine unsupervised!

Nov 05, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

The Sanyo microwave just beeps and 7 constantly appearing


something is probably over-heating. any unusual smell?
are you using 'microwave' safe containers? no metal, foil,or even foil coated hamburger wrappers! or other fast-food product wrappers that are foil coated!
IF IT DOES IT ALL THE TIME- then buy a new one!
they (even in this economy) aren't budget breakers!
good luck!

Oct 02, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave seems to operate normally but does not heat food


Test it. Put a bowl of water in the microwave and place a small (1 or 2 sq inches) piece of aluminum fold next to it. Power the microwave on for 2 or 3 seconds. If the foil sparks, the oven is creating microwaves and should be functioning correctly. If nothing happens to the foil, then you have no microwaves being generated by the klystron tube.

You can spend 80 to 150 dollars to have the oven checked and repaired or you can find another on Craig's List in your community for less than 100 dollars. Alternately, you can replace with a new one for whatever you are able to spend (from 95 to 600 dollars).

Sep 20, 2009 | Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

HOW DO I ROAST A CHICKEN IN A AC925CHS


Search the internet for “roast chicken recipe for microwave”
Here is one just in case you don’t find one:
Microwave Roast Chicken
3 lbs. chicken
1 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. butter or margarine
1 tsp. paprika

Instructions
Melt butter in a custard cup in microwave. Mix paprika into melted butter. Wash chicken (reserve giblets, these are best cooked conventionally). Sprinkle inside of chicken with salt. Cover ends of legs, tail, and wings with small pieces of saran wrap or wax paper. Place trivet on inverted saucer or small casserole lid in 12 x 7 inch baking dish. Place chicken breast side down on saucers. Brush with butter. Cover with waxed paper. Cook 12 minutes. Remove wax paper or saran warp from legs, tail, and wings. Turn chicken breast side up and brush with butter. Cover with wax paper and cook 12 minutes more or until meat thermometer registers 180 degrees (temperature will increase to 195 degrees during standing).

DO NOT USE MEAT THERMOMETER IN OVEN WHEN COOKING!! Remove chicken from oven; cover with aluminum foil and let stand 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Note: For other weights of chicken, allow 8 minutes cooking time per pound.

Jan 09, 2009 | GE JVM1860 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Kenmore 63792 Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

96 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Kenmore Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Michael Thomas
Michael Thomas

Level 3 Expert

3051 Answers

Are you a Kenmore Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...