Question about Brother MFC 9600 All-In-One Laser Printer
I have a Brother MFC 9600 that has a "check scan lock" error. The scanner is unlocked. I hit the "off" button, and it shows "machine error AF" the scanner moves a little bit when the power comes on or when I hit the "stop" button. When the scanner gets to the end, it will not reverse. The motor will still run, but the gears will make a stripping noise against the belt
Based on your post, the Brother MFC 9600 is installed correctly (drivers), the scanner is unlocked and that you hear the gears and motor turning, it would seem that the concern is a mechanical issue.
This of course would require opening the unit and performing a DIY (do-it-yourself). Should you be uncomfortable, then perhaps the services of a qualified professional is required.
If you are considering a DIY, your best source of information would be the service manual which details parts placement, disassembly instructions all other pertinent information.
Hope this be of initial help/idea. Pls post back how things turned up or should you need additional information.
Good luck and kind regards. Thank you for using FixYa.
Posted on Aug 29, 2008
Go to the owners manual page 25 and read the warnings there about this error. If you do not have the manual you can download it at http://www.brother-usa.com/Support/Default.aspx.
Do not do anything else until you have read this and can make an informed decision.
Good luck to you and thank YOu for using FixYa. Your rating is always appreciated.
Posted on Aug 25, 2008
Try to uninstall and reinstall your device. see the settings and see if somethings bothering on operating. if problem persist then you might need a technician to do this by using their tools and change some parts of it.
Posted on Aug 25, 2008
Remove the scanner portion by removing the screws properly.and then check the back of the gears if something is blocking the gears,if yes then remove the blockage . and apply greece on the gears to make it run fluently with the belt attached to it.also check the belt.if it is damaged some where it will not run backwards properly.also remove the white colour cable strips and re-insert for proper connection.if still it does not work.then definately its the problem of faulty scanner.as its circuit is short somewhere.get it repaired.it would not be to costly.thanks.
pls do rate the solution
fixya expert team
Posted on Aug 25, 2008
Try doing this steps for this problem
1) Remove the scanner lid / auto sheet feeder by undoing the two latches and the cabling at the back
2) With a small flat screw driver remove the 'L' shaped plastic above the memory card slots , this will come off to the left. You will unfortunately end up slightly scratching and denting the platic.
3) Remove the control panel face plate and unclip and remove the control panel too, this will come lose to the left. leave the cabling intact.
4) I think now you will be able to get through to all 4-6 torx screws in order to lift off the glass.
5) You'll see the screw on your left towards the front which holds down the scanner pulley. Be careful not to lose the spring inside and undo the screw noting down how tought the screew is fixed in place. Further to the left, the tighter it is. Undo this screw to make the scanner 'head' free.
6) Carefully lift the scanner up about 45 degrees. Move the scanner 'head' towards the left about half way , away from the lock. Slide the lock FULLY to the 'unlock' position and ensure it's not jammed or impeding anything else.
7) Sit the scanner 'head' back down properly if it has come off the tubular track.
8) Re-assembly the screw holding the track ensuring it's as tought as before.
9) Re-assembly the rest of the unit.
Hope that helps.......
Posted on Aug 24, 2008
Just unplug the cord for 15 minutes .....and it will reset ....
Posted on Aug 23, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 05, 2011 | Brother MFC 9600 All-In-One Laser Printer
Nov 25, 2009 | Brother MFC 420CN All-In-One InkJet...
Sep 10, 2009 | Brother MFC 9600 All-In-One Laser Printer
Nov 01, 2008 | Brother MFC 6800 All-In-One Laser Printer
Feb 26, 2008 | Brother MFC 210C All-In-One InkJet Printer
Dec 12, 2007 | Brother MFC 240C All-In-One InkJet Printer
Oct 25, 2007 | Brother MFC-425CN Multi-Function Center...
Feb 17, 2014 | Brother MFC 9600 All-In-One Laser Printer
310 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: