My Gateway model w350a T-series laptop overheats whenever I use it too long. I can tell it is overheating because when i feel underneath of the left side it is extremely warm. I recently got a new hard...
We got that snazzy red Gateway at a Labor Day sale September 2008. And then you had to pay extra for the Microsoft Office Suite...
About 14 months ago it started shutting down unexpectedly We correctly figured out that it was overheating, and yes, we tried putting it on top of ice packs when we were doing something important and did not want to suddenly lose our work, but it still sometimes shut down. We also figured out that it was slower to shut down if the power cord was not connected.
Finally, last night I bit the bullet and opened up the back (with a Phillips screwdriver generally referred to "plus" screwdriver here in Asia. Power off the machine! It takes a little jiggling to get it out even after removing the single screw. It has tiny little latch points, and you don't want to force it because it is breakable plastic. Be gentle.
Then there is a cover where the fan spins. That can be removed too Again Phillips and this time 4 screws. Keep your screws organized preferably in a saucer or cup. They are tiny and easily lost. The fan also is removable. There is a small cable that clips in much like a phone battery clips into a wireless phone. Be sure that you see how it clips in, because you need to put it back the same way. Some of these clips are pretty easy to force in the wrong way around, and then if you really have bad luck you actually need to replace the part.
We found a wad of dust up against the air output about 2mm thick. We gently removed this using a fingernails, and a thin bamboo skewer (for exotic Asian food like "sate"). We did not use a vacuum or a moist cloth or anything else that might upset the machine, the static electricity levels, the magnetic bits and pieces, etc. Then we re-assembled everything carefully. When you put the four screws back in work in diagonals, and do not tighten completely until all four screws are about 2/3 down. Also do not over-tighten. (This is similar to the method of putting lug nuts back on after changing a flat tire on your car).
Voila! It has not overheated today at all We had been shutting down after a mere 15 minutes of use up until this morning, when I finally decided it was time to risk opening the case.
Yes, we have other laptops that apparently just do not **** in that much dust. I have no idea why this one does. Maybe the others have a dust filter on the intake. This is the first time I have ever opened a laptop myself in my life and I've been using laptops for about 15 years. In addition I think darling daughter was using it in bed, where perhaps there was more lint/dust/fibers getting sucked in from the bed linens and piles of clothes in her bedroom.
Feb 23, 2010 |
Computers & Internet