Question about Whirlpool MH6130XEB/Q Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning smell from microwave

On the ceiling of the microwave interior there is a disc about eight inches wide, near the center are two metal tabs (aprox. 1/4 inch) that come from inside of the microwave and lay flat against the disc. Today when I turned on the microwave there was a burning smell and a surging and when I looked into the microwave the left hand tab was glowing/melting. I shut off the microwave and wear the tab used to be is now burnt and chard (about 1/2 inch circle).

Can you tell me what is wrong with my microwave and what parts need to be replaced.

Thanks,
Mike ballas
ballas@wowway.com

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Whirlpool Master
  • 8,820 Answers

This is the waveguide cover / stirrer cover.

Quite often this is due to grease or food particles stuck to the inside of the oven or stuck on or behind the waveguide cover.

It can be fragile, and the metal edges of the oven behind it can be sharp, so be careful!

The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.

If the cavity metal of the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and clean and dried thoroughly.

Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Builder's Square.

If your waveguide cover is burned, it will need to be replaced. It provides important protection for the magnetron.

Please reply back with your brand and model number so we can help you in obtaining parts.

Otherwise, you can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

We're happy to help you and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Jul 21, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Microwave door will not close


PROBLEM, ROOT CAUSE: the METAL FLANGE holding the fixed latch and (3) interlock safety switches is about a thick as the metal in the screw cap on a glass bottle ... say 16 gauge or less.

The METAL FLANGE is thin, wing that has not support to prevent it from swinging like a door hinge. We use (2) of the microwaves everyday. One has never given the "DOOR CLOSE" will not operate problem. The 2nd microwave worked for two or three years. Then it was difficult to close ... and the panel gave the failure message ... "CLOSE THE DOOR."

I was able to use my thumb to press and remove 'dimples' into the metal. It was giving just a little more support than a 'say 10 vertical sheets of wet white copy paper.' We I bent it back to the proper alignment, the door closed and the switches worked. But after just a few cycles of OPEN & CLOSE, the switches would not let the microwave operate ... and the door began harder to close.

SOLUTION: To prevent or limit the movement of the METAL FLANGE, I used (2) connected loops of cable ties like a vertical suspender. The suspender prevents the METAL FLANGE from moving away from the center of the microwave.

1. Un-plug the power cord.

2. There are two methods to remove the case:

(a.) Turn the microwave on one side, the place a ruler beside one of the TORX (with center security pin) screws. Take a digital photo. Go to an auto parts sales office that sells a license plate kit with a kit (a TORX wrench with a drilled HOLE and many of the same TORX (with center security pin) screws.

(b.) Drill out the center security pin at each of the TORX (with center security pin) screws.

3. I used (2) each 12 inch long plastic cable ties. The width was less than 3/16" wide (so it would thread into two [~0.15 inch diameter] existing ventilation holes in the microwave).

4. I threaded one of the plastic cable ties thru a hole at the top, near the front, about one inch toward the center of the microwave.

5. I threaded the 2nd plastic cable tie thru a hole in the bottom, near the front, about 2" towards the center from the latch plate.

6. I formed a large loop with the bottom cable tie, very loose, do not tightened at this stage. I threaded the open end of the top cable tie thru the bottom cable tie loop.

7. THEN I carefully

(a) opened & closed the DOOR, WHILE

(b) watched the position of the METAL FLANGE

(c) AS I slowly tightened each of the large loops of cable ties.

(d) I repeated steps (a) to (c)

(e) I stopped tightening when the CABLE TIES LOOPS provided SOME support, AND the METAL FLANGE still have some hinge movement.

My Panasonic NN-SN797S door would not close. My solution has worked since about March 1st, 2013. Below is a photo from the factory manual. ebd9fdc7-5cb0-4461-ace5-77040f1420eb.jpg 1daa051e-ab7c-4ba9-a7ea-73605433272e.png

Mar 30, 2014 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Loud boom and burning smell in microwave


Is there any holes burnt into the liner inside the micro wave.? Or burn spots showing.? If there is thow it out. It is not safe to be useing it.It could start on fire. That problem is from when they are not clean out once in a while. End food is burn,t onto the interior liner end grease end oil,

Oct 22, 2012 | Sharp KB6001NS 24 Inch Microwave Drawer...

1 Answer

In turning the microwave on this morning, a faint electric sparking was heard. Upon shutting it off and opening the door a burning odor was smelled. I also noticed a burned spot about a quarter inch in...


There is not any power in the door itself. However if the chassis has chipped paint or corrosion the RF from the microwaves magnetron will cause those bare metal areas to reflect the concentrated RF energy and cause sparking.

The only Whirlpool Microwaves that have been recalled, has a model number beginning with XC and had a green sticker on the bottom face area of the chassis where the door closed.

I have often been able to clean and paint the bare metal areas with the correct paint to stop the RF reflection sparks. Using the model number above it is white enamel "appliance paint" that you would use to paint the bare metal areas. A word to the wise.... do not sand outside the area to be painted. Otherwise you re-introduce your current problem post repair.

The model number you passed is missing the very last digit that would be from 0 to 7 (Eight models)

Thanks for choosing FixYa,
Kelly

Feb 21, 2011 | Whirlpool GH5184XPQ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Smells like its burning


check to be sure there is no metal objects bc this causes microwaves to reflect back to the magnetron causes sparks and burning smells in the microwave nd check that all food that may have spilled is cleaned up

Feb 05, 2011 | Emerson Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I need to replace the interior bulb on my GE profile model jvm1850dm2vv microwave oven. Can I access it from the area where the replaceable filter is?


The oven interior bulb is on the top. Look closely at the grille above the door. There are two recessed screws that hold the grille in place. Remove these and carefully pull the grille straight out. You may have to wiggle it a bit - it's a tight fit on most of those I've serviced. Look in the center of the oven above the door. There is a sheet metal cover held in place with one or two screws (usually one, plus a plastic tab going into a slot in the sheet metal). Remove this screw and pull out the sheet metal. You will see the light bulb and the microwave stirring plate motor. Note that the instructions say you should unplug the oven before changing the light bulb. GE's lawyers are afraid you'll stick your fingers in the wrong place and somehow get shocked if you don't have the power removed.

Jan 31, 2011 | GE Profile Over-the-Range Microwave

1 Answer

I have a Kenmore Elite microwave oven... 69-65e05590-000637. We noticed that it would not heat food or liquids... played with the power level a bit and it started to heat again...then a day or two later we...


Is this oven still under warranty? If so, take advantage. If not, remove the power plug and the case. Short out, with a screwdriver, the large can-shaped capacitor with two terminals sticking out. Check the wiring and circuit board for signs of burning. If everything looks ok, remove the thin sheet metal wave guide that sits above or beside the microwave energy port into the cooking cavity. Under the sheet metal, there is a metal fan-like device called a 'stirrer' that has a plastic bearing. Remove this stirrer and smell the bearing. If it smells like the burning wire smell, replace the stirrer. You can buy it through 'Sears Parts' online.

Sep 14, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Arching inside microwave


un plug it right away.

there are carbon deposit near the wave cover. the arching is coming from the magnetron to any exposed metal inside the unit or any carbon deposit since carbon is already conductive, it is sensing it as a metal.

remove and clean the interior of the microwave. polished and paint all exposed metal that you will find in the interior.

then test again the unit.

tnx 4 using fixya,

drcool

Sep 30, 2008 | Whirlpool GH7145XF Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Whirlpool MH6130XEB/Q Microwave Oven Logo

304 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Whirlpool Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

sonic boom...
sonic boom...

Level 3 Expert

1557 Answers

Are you a Whirlpool Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...