The problem initially started with a humming noise when microwave was operated. Then few days later, F9 error code appeared on the display panel. Now the microwave is dead wont even display anything on the panel.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
During operation, most of the built-in models have a panel that tilts out while the exhaust fan is on. When cooking is done, the exhaust fan shuts off and the panel retracts to its normal position. With the fan & microwave motor off, the hum is easier to hear.
Look closely at the top panel the next time you hear the hum, and you'll probably see that it's retracting.
I also have the same microwave model and with the same problem. It is not quite 2 years old. I have a service call scheduled but did e-mail customer service at Whirlpool to inform them of this. Sounds like it could be defective model and a fire hazard. You should also inform them of yours.
Almost certainly, the component called the "magnetron" has died. This is the valve (tube in the US) which actually generates the microwaves. The loud humming is the transformer that supplies the magnetron being overloaded and/or the magnetron itself.
If the rest of the appliance is OK and not too old, the magnetron can be replaced. If you aren't familiar with these appliances, you *must* get this done by someone who understands the dangers of messing with them - if you get it wrong, they can bite! In some countries, only qualified engineers can buy the spare parts.
In the UK, the part costs around £40 - £80, depending on the model.
If the appliance is more than around three years old, it may be a false economy to repair it as other parts may fail soon after the repair.
Word has it that many of these models have a defect which causes the microwave energy to be reflected back to the magnetron, causing damage to the magnetron, and eventually damaging the high-voltage diode too.
Also, the fuse or the magnetron theral cutout / thermostat can eventually blow, too.
There is a replacement magnetron and stirrer kit available.
I would definitely call the GE Answer Center at 800-626-2005 about this. It's not considered a recall, but a "campaign".
They may pick up part of the cost. It's not cheap.