Charging cable gets hot, charge port too, not battery though
So, when I plug in my HP Pavilion dv1000 laptop, the power brick gets really hot, and so does the port where the cable plugs into the computer. The battery, however, still holds a charge and does not get hot. The fan is still running as it should, and I've had no shutdown problems. Could this be a capacitor problem, a sensor issue, or anything else I don't know of? Thank you.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Alot of laptops have the same problem. Power ports and the plugs get wiggled around and they eventually get loosened up. It is most likely the problem. Try holding it in a position that you know it's charging and the let go and see if its still charging or not.
You have a power issue. The board is not charging the system or the battery. If you know someone with a similar model, ask them if you can borrow their battery and see if your system boots with it. If it does, you may need a new adapter or the power board in the notebook is out. When you remove the battery and try it, there's enough juice to power it up for the moment, but not sustain it.
Try using your laptop without the battery and just using your power supply (new universal or your old one).
If your laptop works on just mains power it means your battery is causing the problem, which is not unusual.
Not really. What happened is you shorted the life of the battery by always having it plugged in and in a charging state. The battery has a memory and since it's always been plugged in, it will never charge fully. There are products out there that will drain your battery down and reset the memory issue. But it would be cheaper to get another battery. If you are going to keep it plugged in the majority of the time, charge up the battery and remove it.
I can almost guarantee you this is an issue with the power jack on the laptop's motherboard. Even though it may not appear to be loose, its most likely the solder connection on the motherboard has broken, only allowing intermittent connection when the laptop is in /just/ the right position.
It'd be best to get this looked at sooner rather than later, preferrably if the computer is still under warranty. The connection will steadily decline, until the laptop is unusable.
Otherwise, let me know if you want to get rid of the system! I have a system, almost exactly the same model, that I need parts for!