Question about Microwave Ovens
F3 on a GE / Hotpoint microwave means you have a shorted keypad.
If you (or someone you know) might want to replace it yourself, I have uploaded a handy guide with pictures showing you what's typically involved in standard models.
Here are specific details on your model:
To replace the control panel, you will need to remove the microwave from the installation. You will also have to remove the top access panel.
Before removing the microwave from installation, disconnect all electrical power to the oven by turning off the appropriate electrical breaker.
Here are the steps for removing the control panel:
1. Remove the oven from the cabinet or wall opening.
* CAUTION: Do not use the oven handle to lift or lower the oven. Damage will occur.
* Be careful that electrical conduit is not caught or stressed during removal.
* This step requires 2 people for removal. The microwave should be grasped from the bottom and the front and rear of each side during removal.
* Remove the 4 mounting screws located in the front oven frame.
* Carefully slide the oven forward and out.
* Lower the oven onto a protective surface for servicing.
2. Remove the top access panel. There should be 9 screw attaching the top panel.
3. Disconnect all connector plugs on the control panel. CAUTION: Be sure to note the location and routing of wires for proper reinstallation purposes.
4. Lift the control panel to disengage the lower hinge tabs from the chassis.
5. Remove the control panel.
You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.
There should also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting & testing.
If you would like to have us do this for you, we do that for $39.95 plus part costs.
We're happy to help you and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
William E. Miller, AS-EET
Posted on Jul 19, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 01, 2014 | GE Microwave Ovens
Jan 28, 2014 | GE Advantium SCA2000B Microwave Oven
Feb 20, 2011 | GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven
Dec 19, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Nov 15, 2008 | GE JVM1440 Microwave Oven
May 16, 2008 | GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven
251 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!