Question about Microwave Ovens
We have the service manual for this model and have uploaded it to our site here to help you.
A microwave can be dead for many reasons.
It may be the fuse, which is usually located on the floor of the oven behind the control panel or between the door switches.
Ifthe fuse is good, it may be an open thermostat or thermal cutout (TCO)/ thermal fuse on or near the magnetron or on top of the cavity / bodyof the oven.
If it goes dead for a while during or after cookingthen comes back on, the magnetron is probably overheating and causingthe magnetron thermostat to open.
Then when it cools, it closes the circuit and allows power through again.
Whenchecking thermostats, if it has a hood fan thermostat, that should readopen, as opposed to the others, which should read closed.
If it went dead almost immediately after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a shorted high-voltage capacitor.
If it went dead a few seconds after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a failing high-voltage transformer.
Ifit goes dead or blows the breaker (or GFI) when you plug it in or open or closethe door, then there's a problem with a door switch or door switchmount.
If it's intermittent or random, it may be a badconnection, usually on the control board or a loose fuse holder, oreven an intermittent fuse.
You should do a continuity test onthe fuse while it's in the holder (with the microwave unplugged, ofcourse) then turn the fuse by hand or take it out and put it back in,then test it again.
If you remove the fuse, then press the meterleads against the ends, it can allow internal contact to be made andmake a bad fuse appear to be good.
ForGoldstar / LG / L.G. parts, call 1-800-243-0000 (M-F, 7am-8pm CT, Sat8-5 CT) and choose the appropriate prompt from the menu or visit here.
We're happy to help you and we'd appreciate yourthoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Jul 19, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
A number of kitchen outlets may have GFI switches, especially if they are anywhere near sinks. The GFI may have been tripped. There should be a reset switch in the middle of the plug. See if it's tripped, and reset if necessary.
The breaker may have been tripped. Most kitchen circuits are wired to 20Amp breakers. If this is elsewhere in the house, like in an entertainment room or such, it is likely a 15 Amp outlet. Microwaves can draw a fair amount of power. Someone using another kitchen appliance, hair dryer, or what have you, on the same circuit, may have tripped the breaker. Newer code may specify an AFI or GFI breaker for kitchen outlets. In that case, a fault with something else on the circuit may have tripped the breaker. If that is the case, and it trips again, talk to an electrician. You don't want a fault like that undiagnosed.
3) You may also want to try plugging the microwave into another outlet, even if the normal outlet seems OK
If there's wall power and a good plug-in, then you work back to the microwave itself. A number will have fuses. Also, there may be interlocks that kick in if, for instance, the carousel rotation is impeded - that can mean something on the carousel is hitting a wall, which can risk tipping something over and spilling, or risk mucking up the reduction gears for the carousel axle if it keeps pushing.
At that point, looking for specifics on your microwave model will be needed. You may also try the Microsoft Support approach - i.e unplug it for 5 minutes, then plug it back in and see if it works.
Hoping this helps, Good Luck!
Nov 18, 2015 | In Microwave Ovens
Either you have defected (weak) circuit breaker and wiring or bad Microwave oven.
The 99.99 % house hold Microwave ovens pull less than 15 Amps. They may have internal ceramic 15A fuse or 15 Amp internal circuit breaker.
To isolate your problem:
Plug your Microwave oven to different areas (different electrical circuit) if the different circuit breaker still trips... your Microwave oven has a short - Most of them has a small ceramic fuse 15 amps fuse.-also check some inter lock switches at door .
If the Microwave oven works Ok then you may have:
2a. You may overload the existing electrical circuit, try to unplug some other appliances
2b. You may have bad electrical outlet receptacle (Replace it with the same type , - may need helps from licensed electrician)
2c. Weak or defect house hold circuit breaker. (Replace it with the same type , brand - may need helps from licensed electrician)
Jan 24, 2014 | Goldstar Microwave Ovens
Nov 01, 2013 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens
Mar 29, 2012 | LG Microwave Ovens
Feb 07, 2011 | Jenn-Air JMC7000 Microwave Oven
Jun 19, 2010 | GE JVM1441 Microwave Oven
Jan 12, 2010 | Whirlpool GH5184XPQ Microwave Oven
Jan 11, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Dec 19, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
Nov 04, 2008 | GE JVM1651 Microwave Oven
Dec 07, 2016 | Microwave Ovens
229 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!