I found the following information on this
web page (thank you lincomatic for the write-up!) and updated the information.
"...the DWL-121 - which is not listed on D-Link's website. OmniMedia's support claims that it's a special model that only works w/ OmniFi products ... (yeah, sure, I believe that...) Is it possible to use it as a WiFi adapter for a Windows XP computer? The answer is yes... with the right driver and a tiny bit of tweaking...
D-Link doesn't provide drivers for the DWL-121, and doesn't even have any information about it on their website. When you plug it into a Windows computer, it comes up as an unknown device, manufactured by Inventec. The USB Vendor ID is 09AA, and the Product ID is 3642. Since Intersil's Prism chipset is one of the most popular, I took a guess that the DWL-121 must be Prism-based.
I went hunting for drivers on D-Link's site, and found that the driver for the DWL-122 - another USB WiFi adapter - is called PRISMUSB.sys. Good candidate. After modifying the INF to look for the correct VID/PID, I got the DWL-122 driver to install and it worked! I'm actually posting this article through the DWL-121 right now! Below is the installation procedure:
- Download the DWL-122 driver from this page to your desktop.
- unzip and open the folder.
- Look for the file "NETPRISM.INF" and open it with Notepad.
- Press CTRL-H and replace all instances of the string "VID_2001&PID_3700" with "VID_09AA&PID_3642" (copy&paste!)
- If you're really anal, you can also replace "DWL-122" with "DWL-121," but this is entirely optional, since it only affects the name of the device as XP displays it.
- Save the changed INF file and close Notepad.
- Plug in the DWL-121 and when the Hardware Update Wizard comes up, select Install from a list or specific location.
- On the next screen, select Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.
- On the next screen, click the Have Disk button, and browser to the path of the modified INF file, e.g. "C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\Desktop\dwl122_driver_102\Drivers" and click Next
- Follow the default prompts for the rest of the installation, and you're done!
If you have any more questions or something is not clear to you, just come back here and leave a comment - I'm happy to help.