The Router configuration is not that much difficult, only few thing you have sure,
1) Correct ADSL Connection User name & password,
2) Chose unique ip address in All host.
Follow the mention bellow instruction to configure and connect to Wifi Router,
Making WRT54G2 Router talk to ADSL broadband modem
- Plug the network cable ( Mine was Blue ) which comes with the Router Box pack to your computer. The other end goes into any of the Router Ethernet Port ( 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 )
- Now type in 192.168.1.1 in IE or Firefox or any browser. You will prompted for password which is admin. You must be logged into Linksys Router.
- Now since your ADSL modem is also having the same IP , we will change the IP address for WRT54G2 Router to 192.168.5.1
- Under Setup >Basic Setup look for Network Setup and Change Router IP. Change to 192.168.5.1 and Save changes.
- Since the IP has changed you will need to close the Browser.
- Sometimes the IP doesnt change automatically. Do a IPCONFIG / RELEASE and then IPCONFIG / Renew
- Plugin the Ethernet cable which comes from the Modem into the port on Wrt54g2 router which says Internet.
- Open Internet Explorer and Type in 192.168.5.1.
- Type in same password ( admin )
- You will be in Setup > Basic Setup
- Take a look at Section , Internet Setup. The current selection should be Automatic Configuration DHCP. Select Static IP instead.
- Add following details to it. In the first step we backed up All the IP configuration. Use them here
Internet IP Address: . . .
Subnet Mask: . . .
Gateway: . . .
Static DNS 1: . . .
Static DNS 2: . . .
Static DNS 3:
ADSL Modem Settings to Wrt54g2 Router
- Once Done just save changes and you should be back at same page.
- Now try to connect any application which talks to internet. You should be able to connect
Configuring for Wireless Connection :Now
once your Router is talking with Modem, it is pretty easy to connect on
Wireless. The only thing we need to setup here is Security. Lets get
- Get to the Lynksys page again. Do all login and regualr stuff.
- Now look for menu Wireless, click on it. You should land on Basic Wireless Settings.
Basic Wireless Settings
Now Lets secure the Router :
- Select wireless configuration to Manual .
- Wireless network mode to Mixed.
- Give a Wireless Network Name (SSID), make sure its unique.
- Make Wireless channel selection 11 ( 11 - 2.463 GHZ)
- Select Wireless SSID Broadcast to Enable
- Save Settings and you will be back at the same page with changes you made.
- Go to Wireless Security on the same page.
- You will need to configure here Security Mode : WPA Personal, WPA Algorithms: TKIP
- WPA Shared Key is what you will need when you connect to your router without wire. This key does the authentication and keep unwanted people away. Add 8 digit alphanumeric key.
- As suggested in comments, there is a new mode which you can use : WPA2 with AES
- Save changes.Just make sure you save that key to a notepad or remember it.
Wrt54g2 wireless security
- Now last step, Move to next menu Security > Firewall .
- Uncheck Block Anonymous Internet Requests .
- Save Settings.
Wrt54g2 firewall settings
- Remove the blue cable which you had connected with Router.
it. Now just turn on your WIFI and Search for the router. The name
should be visible. Click to connect. At this stage it will ask you for
the Password or Shared Key which we configures just above. It will
connect and you will be able to connect to Internet.
That's all Folks. This is how you connect WRT54G2 Linksys router with Adsl Broadband Modem
. If you have any questions feel free to comment.