Question about ASUS Computers & Internet

1 Answer

Burning smell on my laptop

I smelled a burning smell recently while using my laptop. When I unplugged the ac adapter, the plug that plugs directly into the back of the computer was extremely hot. I unplugged it and used my battery for a bit. When I plugged it back in, the computer would not recognize that the AC adapter was plugging in and it still ran off the battery. I bought a replacement AC adapter thinking that was the problem. The battery was almost dead but not completely I think. Anyway, when I plug in the new AC adapter, nothing happens and now the computer won't even run off the battery. The burning smell returns when I've plugged in the new AC adapter.

The warranty is up but I still need to use the computer and it's still good other than that.

What else can I do?

Posted by on

  • S96J Jul 13, 2008

    I took the notebook apart and I can see the DC Jack has 5 spots where it's soldered to the main board. The fifth (center) spot has melted through the original soldering and left a brown burned mark on the green board around it.

    I don't know if this was the correct thing to do, but I soldered the center wire back to the board. I then plugged it in w/ the notebook still taken apart so I can see better, and it sparked at that center spot. I quickly unplugged it and added a little more solder to it, thinking I may not have made quite a good enough connection. I plugged it in again and it didn't spark, but this time smoke came from the DC jack.

    I'm going to try and buy a new DC jack from Asus on Monday and replace it myself.

  • Anonymous Mar 31, 2014

    is it ok to use my laptop without battery, just using ac outlet?

×

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Novelist:

    An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.

    Scholar:

    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.

  • Expert
  • 96 Answers

Unless you have the ability to to replace the plug connector part yourself, you will have to take it in to a shop who can do that kind of fine soldering for you. If nothing else is damaged, it should be ok with replacing just that burnt out part.

Posted on Jul 12, 2008

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Burning plastic smell coming outside unit


It probably wasn't soldered correctly, it happens, you should turn your computer off and unplug the PSU so you dont fry the CPU, then try resoldering it or take it somewhere to get it done. it also might be the wrong replacement part, too loose..

Aug 23, 2013 | ASUS Computers & Internet

1 Answer

Laptop charger smells


Laptops (esp. older ones) should never be left plugged in 24/7. You need to stop using the charger (the problem is only in the charger and NOT the laptop?) and replace it. The burning smell is something overheating which can lead to a fire and sparks are rarely a good sign.

I'd cut the cord on the charger, so it can't be used again and replace it.

Dec 29, 2012 | Samsung NC10-14GW PC Notebook

2 Answers

Burning smell and battery not charging


Most of the companies now a days replaces the system for you if the problem comes under fire hazard. Even if you smell that something is burning in your system you can get your system replaced from the company without any cost

Jul 16, 2009 | Computers & Internet

2 Answers

My AC power supply runs the laptop but will not charge the battery (plugged in, not charging). Laptop also runs ok on battery only. Some burning smell noted from AC input before problem


If you have a burning smell I would not plug it in again it may could cause a fire. I would take it in for service and have it checked out.

Jun 11, 2009 | ASUS F3Jc-AP141C Notebook

1 Answer

Dell Laptop - Inspiron 1525 - Electrical Sparks w/HDMI Cable and Dell Adapter


Now shortage,.. why you dit not use the s video connector? if you want to show the move from the laptop computer to tv, just s video to tv. tv out..should...

if som burn or damage in board that is big problem.. you need to bring shop for repair.. or if under warranty try to return it

Jun 08, 2009 | Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop

1 Answer

About little bit of smell coming from my laptop


What I have seen in my business is this: With laptops the power cord adapter places too much strain on the power connector and weakens the connector or the power cord that plugs into the laptop has taken a hit and it breaks loose the power connector from the motherboard. This is a serious issue as further use will destroy your motherboard from electrical arcing. Once the mobo becomes burned out in that location you will need a new motherboard. If you can find someone to repair the laptop then I would have them look at it. Laptop repair is not something for amatuers with no experience with electronics repair. Laptop repair can be accomplished with patience and experience. Anytime you smell something burning and hear crackling it is not normal.
I would start with looking at your adapter end that plugs into the laptop, if this is damaged you can try to get another adapter. If it looks OK then I would have a technician look at your laptop. Continued use like this will cause further damage.

May 01, 2009 | Lenovo 3000 N100 Notebook PC

2 Answers

Notebook smells like burning plastic.


cud be your onboard voltage regulator for the battery charging. if you remove the battery and use the external power source does it smell also?
if the battery charges normal out of the unit, and the laptop works well with the AC power unit without the battery, then it's your voltage regulator for the batt charging

Mar 17, 2008 | Computers & Internet

6 Answers

Notebook smells like burning plastic.


If the new Targus charger is really rated correctly for your laptop, your battery isn?t charging and you smell the burning plastic coming from the laptop when you plug it in that is a fairly dangerous situation and you shouldn?t plug it back in anymore. The power from the charger runs through a PCB board which distributes power to other components in your laptop. I suspect one of the components (probably a capacitor) had a catastrophic failure and is the cause of the smell and the lack of battery charging. Once again assuming that the Targus is the correct one for your laptop current you probably have a laptop damaged beyond home or economical repair.

Dec 02, 2006 | Compaq Presario 700 470024-192 Notebook

Not finding what you are looking for?
Computers & Internet Logo

Related Topics:

1,170 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top ASUS Computers & Internet Experts

Brian Sullivan
Brian Sullivan

Level 3 Expert

27725 Answers

David
David

Level 3 Expert

751 Answers

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor

Level 3 Expert

728 Answers

Are you an ASUS Computer and Internet Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...