Question about Acer (91.48T37.003) CD-RW/DVD-ROM (Combo) Burner
Computer (AcerPwoer FH EC3520P) runs slower and slower, ACER Technology section suggest defrag for speed, but it also recommend not defraging if file system is NTFS which mine is...so what do i do?...By the way I found this site while trying to find out why my DVD/CD Combo just stop working and being recognized and I am going follow those instruction, but I need to understand why I shouldn't defrag and what is the alternative.
There are several things you can do to increase the speed of your computer and they involved just a bit of housecleaning.
1. Defrag: Useful, but not vital. There is no reason to avoid doing it is you systems uses NTFS. It still works the same way.
2. System cache: Change your system cache to 3 times the size of your RAM and make sure the min and max are identical.
3. Clean out all temporary files: With no programs running, run a search for al files ending in .tmp and delete them. Do the same for files beginning with "~" go to your temporary internet folder and delete every folder you find in the following hidden area: documents and settings\[your username]\\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 and delete all folders located here.
Note: This is a hidden location and you will not be able to view it unless you type the full path in the address bar. Changing your folder settings to unhide system files will not make the content.ie5 folder viewable.
4. MSconfig: Go to the “Start” button, and then select “Run” and type in “msconfig” and hit enter. Select the “Startup” tab and uncheck any programs that you do not want to run in the background. Experiment with this a few times to get a good mix of useful programs vs. turning off unwanted ones. Rebooting makes these changes take effect. Be sure to check the box not to get the nag popup when it shows up when you log in again for the first time. Keep in mind most of these programs are pointless and only server to preload software into memory to trick you into thinking they are running faster than they actually do. In fact, they slow down everything else running on your system.
5. Desktop: Remove all programs, files and folders from your desktop and put shortcuts there instead. As a general rule, don’t keep actual files, folders or programs on your desktop, as your desktop must completely load when you turn on your computer and log in. This will significantly speed up your initial startup of your operating system and the overall running of all programs.
6 Finally, removing programs from the registry’s run folder; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run will allow you to free up even more operating memory. Careful! This is your registry and do not delete anything related to your antivirus program, but you can safely remove things such as anything from adobe, office launcher or other such things. Make sure you know what you are deleting before you do so, or you can end up getting rid of something you really do need.
Posted on Jul 11, 2008
If defrangmentation mean: defragmentation is a process that reduces the amount of fragmentation in file systems. It does this by physically reorganizing the contents of the disk to store the pieces of each file close together and contiguously. It also attempts to create larger regions of free space using compaction to impede the return of fragmentation.
how to defrag mean:
"Right click the my computer menu then click then manager their you select the defragmentation"!
Posted on Jul 11, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 30, 2011 | Acer Aspire One Netbook
on Dec 21, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Jan 13, 2011 | Acer Aspire One PC Notebook
Jan 13, 2011 | Compaq Presario Notebook
Sep 24, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Nov 19, 2009 | Acer TravelMate 4100 Notebook
Mar 13, 2009 | Acer Computers & Internet
Jun 15, 2008 | Lenovo 3000 C200 Notebook
92 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: