Question about GPS
How to unlock this mapping to your Nuvi 700 series, if you get the error message “can’t unlock maps”
Please connect the Nuvi to the computer then follow the following steps:
1. Go to ‘My Computer’ and select your Nuvi.
2. Once you have selected the Nuvi go to the ‘Garmin’ folder.
3. Click options along the top toolbar of the open window, then select folder options.
Once the box appears, select the VIEW tab along the top and un-tick the ‘Hide extensions for known file types’, then click OK.
4. Once you are back in the Garmin window you will need to right click the window and
then choose NEW > Text Document:
5. Once you have the Text Document appear in the window you will need to name it:
gmapprom.unl (you may need to remove the .TXT extension).
6. Once the file has been created, right click on it and choose open. A window will pop
up asking you to choose the program to open the gmapprom.unl file, you will need to
choose NOTEPAD and make sure the box at the bottom that says to always use this
program for this file type is un-ticked and then click OK
7. You will then have an empty document open, in here you need to type your 25 character unlock code all in lowercase and without spaces or ‘-‘. After entering this,
save and close the document.
8. You can then unplug your unit and the mapping will be unlocked on the Nuvi. (Please note that if you have a Nuvi 770 then you will need to repeat this process again as you will have two unlock codes. You will need to name the second file
Posted on Jul 11, 2008
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 14, 2011 | Garmin Nuvi 770 Car GPS Receiver
Aug 30, 2008 | Garmin GPS
Jul 11, 2010 | Garmin (010-00583-00) for nuvi 750/760/770
Feb 09, 2010 | Garmin GPS
May 12, 2009 | Garmin (010-00583-00) for nuvi 750/760/770
Mar 22, 2009 | Garmin (010-00583-00) for nuvi 750/760/770
Mar 20, 2009 | Garmin (010-00583-00) for nuvi 750/760/770
Mar 09, 2009 | Garmin (010-00583-00) for nuvi 750/760/770
Apr 23, 2018 | GPS
319 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: