Question about GPS Devices
How to unlock this mapping to your Nuvi 700 series, if you get the error message “can’t unlock maps”
Please connect the Nuvi to the computer then follow the following steps:
1. Go to ‘My Computer’ and select your Nuvi.
2. Once you have selected the Nuvi go to the ‘Garmin’ folder.
3. Click options along the top toolbar of the open window, then select folder options.
Once the box appears, select the VIEW tab along the top and un-tick the ‘Hide extensions for known file types’, then click OK.
4. Once you are back in the Garmin window you will need to right click the window and
then choose NEW > Text Document:
5. Once you have the Text Document appear in the window you will need to name it:
gmapprom.unl (you may need to remove the .TXT extension).
6. Once the file has been created, right click on it and choose open. A window will pop
up asking you to choose the program to open the gmapprom.unl file, you will need to
choose NOTEPAD and make sure the box at the bottom that says to always use this
program for this file type is un-ticked and then click OK
7. You will then have an empty document open, in here you need to type your 25 character unlock code all in lowercase and without spaces or ‘-‘. After entering this,
save and close the document.
8. You can then unplug your unit and the mapping will be unlocked on the Nuvi. (Please note that if you have a Nuvi 770 then you will need to repeat this process again as you will have two unlock codes. You will need to name the second file
Posted on Jul 11, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 14, 2011 | Garmin Nuvi 770 Car GPS Receiver
Aug 30, 2008 | Garmin GPS Devices
Nov 29, 2010 | Garmin Nuvi 770 Car GPS Receiver
Mar 07, 2010 | Garmin GPS Devices
Feb 09, 2010 | Garmin GPS Devices
Jun 14, 2009 | Garmin StreetPilot c340 GPS Receiver
Oct 11, 2008 | Garmin GPS Devices
Mar 26, 2008 | GPS Devices
318 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: