Question about IBM ThinkPad T30 2366 Notebook
I have an IBM T30 laptop that has some strange symptoms I've not run across before. Any assistance is appreciated. Here are the symptoms:
1. Laptop runs on AC or battery power, but does not recognize the AC adapter.
2. Laptop will run without AC adapter (on battery).
3. Laptop will run without battery (on AC). Still does not recognize the AC adapter as being plugged in. Shows battery icon on tray and in power management.
4. When running on battery power, the unit shows no ill effects when you plug in the AC adapter. However, if you subsequently unplug the AC adapter, the computer shuts off, even with a full charge on the battery.
5. The battery icon does not show that the battery is charging, but it is, and has been confirmed by plugging it into another laptop of the same model.
Steps I have taken without success:
1. Replaced the battery with a new one.
2. Substituted in another AC adapter.
3. Updated BIOS to the newest revision.
4. Attempted to update the embedded controller, but due to the fact the system does not recognize the AC adapter, it will not allow the update to occur. (In IBM's infinite wisdom, they put this in as a failsafe so the system wouldn't shut off during the upgrade)
The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried at this point is replacing the CMOS, but the system doesn't show any of the symptoms normally associated with a CMOS failure.
You might try cleaning the battery compartment. Makeing sure there are no damaged pins. Often times even a single messed up pin will cause this. Also this is a very good indication of adaptor failure. If you haven't allready I suggest getting another ac adapter specific to you machine. Even a substitute will casue the same issue you are now experianceing.
Posted on Jul 11, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 24, 2011 | IBM ThinkPad T30 2366 Notebook
Jan 04, 2011 | IBM ThinkPad T30 2366 Notebook
May 21, 2010 | IBM ThinkPad T30 2366 Notebook
Mar 01, 2010 | IBM ThinkPad T30 2366 Notebook
Nov 09, 2009 | IBM ThinkPad T30 2366 Notebook
Oct 17, 2009 | IBM ThinkPad T30 2366 Notebook
Dec 09, 2008 | IBM ThinkPad T30 2366 Notebook
Jul 18, 2008 | IBM ThinkPad T30 2366 Notebook
356 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!