Question about Canon MV730i Mini DV Digital Camcorder

1 Answer

About transfering video from the tape into PC


Can you please tell me how do I transfer video from the camcorder(Canon MV730i) into Pc and eventually I want to make a DVD.
I bought a mini-USB and USB but it only transfers pictures from the memory card.
Is it something to do with the firewire that I need to buy as I don't have the software CD for this camera either.
please just tell me the best and the most simple way how to do it as I'm not very good at camcorders.
Thank you so much

Posted by on

  • virgjiresha Jul 21, 2008

    First of all Thanks for your replay James.

    I bought a pinnacle software and I managed to store the files into computer.

    One thing is that I cannot use these files with Windows movie maker and even these files can be played in Windows media player.When I tried to transfer them it says something about "interfaces" or I don't know.

    If I try to use Pinnacle, it is asking me to update it for a certain fee.

    This is ok But my worries are that will I be able to transfer these files into DVD that can be red from any DVD or PC even I pay for the Pinnacle upgrade, or is there any limit to use the software after the payment,(sorry, I'm not very experienced with this Pinnacle software, but because I cant use Windows movie maker I'm trying to find alternative ways).

    Once again thank you James for your help

    Much appreciatted


  • virgjiresha Jul 22, 2008

    I bought a "Dazzle" and the pinnacle software came with it.

    As soon as I installed the software, all the video from the tape started tranferring into HDD.The files are pretty big(about 1 hour or so, )but As I said I can play them in Windows media player but not in Windows movie maker, which sounds a bit weird.

    Maybe it's something to do with Pinnacle copyright or ..I dont know.

    About this Pinnacle, every time I try to edit something it asks me for upgrade (£ 20 or so) .I thought once I put the code (the code came with it when I bought it)25 -digits, I should be able to use it but ...




1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

  • Expert
  • 38 Answers

Hi, You do need a firewire cable (which is normally provided with the camera) and a firewire port in your computer in order to get images off the tape which you have recorded onto.  The card however can be accessed via USB.  The card can store video as well as pictures although if it is the card that you bought the camera with it probably has very low memory. If I were you I would take one of these two solutions 

  • Buy a firewire cable and a firewire PSI card for your computer.  Use an editing software eg. Pinnacle or Windows movie maker to import video files from camera. 
  • On the camera above the power switch (camera, OFF, play), there will be a switch which at present is down indicating to video.  Switch it up to card.  This will then record video to your card which you can load to your computer same as the pictures.  You might need to buy a new SD card (located in compartment -Multi Media Card- next to lcd screen.) these can be quite cheap and 1 GB can hold more than an hour of footage.
Hope this helps- Any more questions just ask

Posted on Jul 20, 2008

  • James Walker Jul 21, 2008

    What pinnacle are you using?  What file type is it?  You can find converters on the internet.  If Windows Media player can't read it then its probably quite a rare file type.  Can you play the files with any media player?  What size are the files?  If they are video files they should be quite big.  At least 6MB per min.  If you find out the type I could help you.

    How did you get the video on in the first place?  Did you simply use pinnacle?   

  • James Walker Jul 23, 2008

    What is the file type?



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

On my cannon digital video camcorder ( model MV730i) i am trying to play back some footage i have taken but on the view finder (and also on my computer when i transfer footage over) the picture is coming...

Possibly dirty head and/or dirty tape.Maybe even wear-out tape,too.
But the worst scenario would be faulty or damaged head,which would be not worth repair it.

Aug 19, 2010 | Canon MV730i Mini DV Digital Camcorder

1 Answer

Can't transfer data from the cassette to the 1GB memory card?

Remember 1 gb mem card is not big, I have a Sony camera and just 4 min on my digital tape recording with sound is 1.6 gb okay, just buy a bigger card and you will be fine.

May 23, 2010 | Canon MV730i Mini DV Digital Camcorder

1 Answer

Converting cam tape video to pc

yes, there is a good software that has powerful editing functions, such as capture images, adjust flip video contrast, brightness and saturation and to apply special video effects including old film, gray and emboss, remove unwanted footages from flip videos, and so on.

Dec 02, 2009 | Pure Digital Flip Video Ultra Camcorder

1 Answer

Transfer recording from camcorder to pc then burn to disc

You need one software like Ulead VideoStudio to transfer movie to your computer. Good luck!

Jan 30, 2009 | Canon MV550i Mini DV Digital Camcorder

1 Answer

About transfering video from the tape into PC

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}Yes, it is something to do with Firewire. I managed to dothis with my Canon MV750i so I know it can be done!

You are correct; the USB cable only transfers pictures from the SD card. To transfer video from your camcorder to a computer you need to use a Firewirecable (also known as IEEE 1394), and you need to have a socket on your computerto plug the Firewire cable into. Macs already have a socket built in butgenerally with PCs you will need to install (or get someone to install for you)a special card with the Firewire socket on it.

I can't explain the whole procedure here but you can getstarted by looking at the following articles on the Canon website. Thefirst one explains what sort of connections can be made on different Canoncamcorders (including the MV730i) and what you can do with them:

The second briefly explains what hardware and software youwill need, how it goes together, how to make DVDs and so on:

Unfortunately there is no quick, simple answer but I hope thispoints you in the right direction!

Sep 25, 2008 | Canon MV650i Mini DV Digital Camcorder

2 Answers

Mini DV tapes transfer to computer

wow, i have the same exact problem. im using a canon too. and i dont have an installation CD or anything, because i baught my camera at a pawn shop. the only thing i can think of is that i might be using the wrong type of fire wire cord? do i need to use a DV fire wire cord? i have no clue.

Aug 20, 2008 | Canon MV730i Mini DV Digital Camcorder

1 Answer

Canon Mv730i

well the camera has USB interface and a memory card, you may either:

1. connect your camera to your computer using the USB cable it came with.

*once you do this your computer may require you to install a driver (you have this on the camera's CD) but in most cases all you have to do is wait, then once it says that the device is ready to use, click "my computer" and you will see a "Canon" icon as a removable disk, double click on it and you will see the still images and videos you have captured.

2. you may also use a card reader (for SD) to avoid going through the driver installation process. same way, connect it to your PC, wait till it confirms it is good to go, then click go to my computer to access the (SD) memory card.

good luck

Jun 22, 2008 | Canon MV730i Mini DV Digital Camcorder

2 Answers

Transfering video to Mac

I believe that camera only works with firewire. You might want to check with Canon to see if there is compatibility problems with Macs. I know it works on Windows computers.

Jan 17, 2008 | Canon ZR800 Mini DV Digital Camcorder

1 Answer

Transfering video to Mac

Digital video on the ZR400 is transferred to a computer only via the DV out port, which will connect to a firewire port on a PC or a Mac. USB will not transfer video, only images to and from the card.

Nov 13, 2007 | Canon ZR400 Mini DV Digital Camcorder

Not finding what you are looking for?
Canon MV730i Mini DV Digital Camcorder Logo

341 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Canon Video Cameras Experts

Pieter Vleeshouwers
Pieter Vleeshouwers

Level 3 Expert

1908 Answers


Level 3 Expert

79865 Answers

Steve Mason

Level 2 Expert

305 Answers

Are you a Canon Video Camera Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides