Ok, I was having this same problem and the solution for me appears to lay in the fact that the "photo tray" was pushed in, signaling to the printer that it should print to the size specifications of a photo (approximately half the width of a standard letter page).
I should also mention that with my problem, the printer would hang at every single print job--presumably to wait for you to input your photo paper--and that executing this fix solved the problem.
To fix this, I followed these instructions:
SOLUTION:Follow the steps below to correct the issue:
- Disconnect power to the printer.
- Remove all photo paper from the Photo Tray.
- Push the Photo Tray completely into the printer.
- Snap the Photo Tray out (towards you) sharply.
- Reconnect power to the printer.
- Print a self-test on 8.5 X 10 paper.
- Engage the Photo Tray.
From the Printer Toolbox, select Calibrate the Photo Tray .